cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default Would you lie during a temple recommend interview in

order to attend your own child's wedding? I've always been a little bothered with keeping inactive or non-member parents and grandparents from attending temple weddings.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's that bothersome, get a civil wedding ceremony separate from the temple ceremony. Problem solved. In fact, in some countries (eg. England), you have to do that regardless.

P.S. My father-in-law was unable to attend, so I've had to deal with this situation.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If it's that bothersome, get a civil wedding ceremony separate from the temple ceremony. Problem solved. In fact, in some countries (eg. England), you have to do that regardless.

P.S. My father-in-law was unable to attend, so I've had to deal with this situation.
just make sure you do it in another country where the law of the land dictates doing it that way. If you do it in the US you'll have to wait a year to be sealed.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Baptize your fiance, get married civily (her family is kind of happy), and then go to the temple a year from her baptism date.

Back to your original question, my answer is no. I'm a mullah on that kind of thing. I may change someday, however. A few years back we all wanted to go to the temple as part of celebrating my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. It was apparent that my sister getting a TR would be iffy, but my father said she should just lie since other people do the same. I was floored that my pioneer stock father would say such a thing, but I guess he really wanted that moment of all his children there in the Celestial Room.

My sister maintained her integrity.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

You use to seem like a nice guy, what's happened? Any way I've had to deal with it also, my MIL is Catholic and was not able to attend our wedding. A second wedding seems fake and pointless.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I see it as one of those old traditions that stays around because in the minds of those who make the decision, the pressure will perhaps get some family members to get their life back in order so they can attend the wedding.

I have been around several situations involving said exclusion. I have seen those who refused to lie to get in and those who did lie and got in.

I am not making a judgment on their spiritual future, but as far as associating with someone, I prefer those who didn't lie and didn't get in.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
You use to seem like a nice guy, what's happened? Any way I've had to deal with it also, my MIL is Catholic and was not able to attend our wedding. A second wedding seems fake and pointless.
What's more bothersome: getting a civil ceremony first so that everyone can attend or lying through your teeth to get a rubber stamp recommend?

I have inactive relatives who refuse to have anything to do with the church in large part because they've seen how the church has given people temple recommends who had no business getting them.

Read this for some more understanding on my position:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...%22#post134225
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm upset that non-member caterers cannot provide refreshmen in the sealing room.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm upset that non-member caterers cannot provide refreshmen in the sealing room.
That's why I made sure our caterers were temple worthy before I hired them. Though I think some of them may have lied, just to get the gig.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
That's why I made sure our caterers were temple worthy before I hired them. Though I think some of them may have lied, just to get the gig.
I went a step further for my wedding.

I called BYU71's two sources and confirmed that every construction worker had a temple recommend when they built the temple in which we were sealed.

Oops, did I say built? I meant to say remodeled!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote