cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When did Obama become black?

I seem to recall Mike might have raised this, so if so, I apologize.

I was watching a show last week that reviewed Obama's life. He was born in Hawaii to a white mother and Kenyan father. When Obama was two the father split and played a limited role in Obama's life from that time. Obama's mom then marries a guy from Indonesia and they move there. From school photos it is apparent that Obama attended expat schools. He is one of few blacks among a sea of white and Asian faces. He then moves back to Hawaii where he attends the exclusive Punahou High School, being one of the few blacks in a fairly multi-ethnic environment.

In essence, he was raised by a white mother and grandparents and had limited exposure to black culture. Yet as an adult he identifies as black, punctuating that identification by attending an african-centric (some would say radically so) church, considering its chief pastor as a mentor.

I wonder why that is.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

When it benefited him politically.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
When it benefited him politically.
Seeing as how we've had so many black presidents, I can see how anxious he must have been to exploit his race. Do you really think his race is a benefit? Do you think we would even be talking about Obama now if he were dark-skinned?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
when did Obama become black?
In Hillary's editing room?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I will answer your question with a question: name the candidate who went into a predominantly minority neighborhood and, in a photo op and a blatant attempt to be accepted, embarrassed himself by yelling "who let the dogs out?"

Obama might not come from the ghetto, but he doesnt pretend to, either. He does not suffer from Stephen A Smith-itis, all of a sudden speaking in ebonics when surrounded by black people.

Perhaps Obama was busy being black while GWB was busy "serving" his country in the National Guard and legitimately qualifying for Yale.

I actually think the AA community is in for a surprise if Obama gets elected. He is viewed skeptically by some as a sell-out or a U.T.

I expect we will see a lot more "get to work and stop blaming others" from Obama than we will hear "The Man is keeping you down."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post

I was watching a show last week that reviewed Obama's life. He was born in Hawaii to a white mother and Kenyan father. When Obama was two the father split and played a limited role in Obama's life from that time. Obama's mom then marries a guy from Indonesia and they move there. From school photos it is apparent that Obama attended expat schools. He is one of few blacks among a sea of white and Asian faces. He then moves back to Hawaii where he attends the exclusive Punahou High School, being one of the few blacks in a fairly multi-ethnic environment.

In essence, he was raised by a white mother and grandparents and had limited exposure to black culture. Yet as an adult he identifies as black, punctuating that identification by attending an african-centric (some would say radically so) church, considering its chief pastor as a mentor.

I wonder why that is.
Do you think Michelle's upbringing in South Chicago impacted him?

Il Pad: Barack's association with the church Noah mentions in no way benefits him politically. It's more of a liability.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I wonder why that is.
If you read your post, you'll notice that you yourself referred to him as black when he was just a child. For some reason you seem to think that being black is about culture, not skin color. Methinks you're confused.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #8
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
If you read your post, you'll notice that you yourself referred to him as black when he was just a child. For some reason you seem to think that being black is about culture, not skin color. Methinks you're confused.
Of course I'm confused. Please elaborate on your point.

That he would choose a fairly radical church is interesting. Why? Despite his upbringing, were his options limited? Or did he long to relate and identify with people that look like him?

Tiger Woods presents an interesting alternative.

I think BatGirl may have something in raising Michelle Obama. Why would he choose someone like Michelle? I find it an interesting journey.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #9
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Of course I'm confused. Please elaborate on your point.

That he would choose a fairly radical church is interesting. Why? Despite his upbringing, were his options limited? Or did he long to relate and identify with people that look like him?

Tiger Woods presents an interesting alternative.

I think BatGirl may have something in raising Michelle Obama. Why would he choose someone like Michelle? I find it an interesting journey.
I also wonder why he chose such a particularly nutbar religion, but assume it has something to do with who he married. As for why he married Michelle, it's obviously because he figured she would be a good asset in his presidential campaign a couple decades hence. But seriously, I don't find attempts to explain why soandso married soandso very useful.

Of course, the bigger question is why you think his choice of religion and spouse had an effect on his skin color.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

I wonder why that is.
Unless this is a debate about whether life begins at conception, birth or some other phase, I am confused by your question.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote