cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why so many foreign Ute basketballers?

Is that a good thing?

At one point the commentators noted that the Utes on the court all hailed from five different countries. Is this a vestige of the Jack-o-Letti period? How did it happen? They're not that talented (not only a Frenchman, but a white Frenchman!!).

I don't see this as a strength. It suggests Utah has difficulty luring players from it's natural recruiting base: the USA.

What happened?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

It worked in the past with Mottola and Bogut and somewhat with Nevill.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

The australian connnection was strong because of Bogut in getting Nevill and Weigh. Kepkay is canadian but he played at College of Eastern Utah and the Utes recruited him while he was there. I am not sure what the story is with Tillie but he was a pretty big get of Giacolletis. Drca, I am not sure about.

Overall it has worked out pretty well for the Utes. They have had some failures but their successes have been very good with Bogut, Nevill and Hanno specifically. I would also say that Tillie and Drca are both going to be above average players by the time they live.

With that said, Boylen is obviously going to be focusing more on the US kids but I have no problem with snagging some good talent overseas if it fits.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding is that Tillie played on the French National team when he was 16 years old, but he's rather fragile and is nursing an injury.

Drca is a Serb and despite what he showed Saturday, has some very good offensive skills. Neville could be good if Boylen can get all the Giacoletti wussiness out of him.

No need to worry about the Utes recruiting, MBN, as Boylen has only recruited Americans. He already got a 6'11" kid out of Michigan named Washburn who is rated rather high in the recruiting sites - I think Rivals had him at 16th for centers - and he's really making a good push for a kid out of Withcita who is supposed to be the real deal.

It's amazing how much damage Giacoletti did to the Utah program. But Boylen seems like he will have the ability to straighten all the problems out.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
My understanding is that Tillie played on the French National team when he was 16 years old, but he's rather fragile and is nursing an injury.

Drca is a Serb and despite what he showed Saturday, has some very good offensive skills. Neville could be good if Boylen can get all the Giacoletti wussiness out of him.

No need to worry about the Utes recruiting, MBN, as Boylen has only recruited Americans. He already got a 6'11" kid out of Michigan named Washburn who is rated rather high in the recruiting sites - I think Rivals had him at 16th for centers - and he's really making a good push for a kid out of Withcita who is supposed to be the real deal.

It's amazing how much damage Giacoletti did to the Utah program. But Boylen seems like he will have the ability to straighten all the problems out.
I take back what I said. Boylen needs to go scour the French countryside for more of those cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I take back what I said. Boylen needs to go scour the French countryside for more of those cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

Boylen has said that Tillie was one of the players who put on boxing gloves and got into the ring with Boylen. So I guess the toughest Frenchman just might be up at Utah, eh?

And another thing about Weigh - Boylen has said that part of the reason Weigh decided to go pro in Australia was that when the Utes spent about 4 weeks down under this summer, Weigh played really well in front of the scouts down there.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
myboynoah

Quote:
And another thing about Weigh - Boylen has said that part of the reason Weigh decided to go pro in Australia was that when the Utes spent about 4 weeks down under this summer, Weigh played really well in front of the scouts down there.
Does Utah recruit Australia actively? You've done pretty well down under.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Does Utah recruit Australia actively? You've done pretty well down under.
I'm not sure how active they recruit Australia. Ben Melmeth was the first Australian I remember coming to Utah and he was a Majerus recruit. Majerus got word of Bogut and went there to get him. Neville went to high school in Georgia and it helped that Bogut was at Utah for Giacoletti to get him. Weigh is the only other Australian that I'm aware of and he came here not so much because of Giacoletti but because Neville was here as well.

There seems to be some good players down that way. The trouble is that there are too few Boguts and too many Luc Longleys.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #9
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm not sure how active they recruit Australia. Ben Melmeth was the first Australian I remember coming to Utah and he was a Majerus recruit. Majerus got word of Bogut and went there to get him. Neville went to high school in Georgia and it helped that Bogut was at Utah for Giacoletti to get him. Weigh is the only other Australian that I'm aware of and he came here not so much because of Giacoletti but because Neville was here as well.

There seems to be some good players down that way. The trouble is that there are too few Boguts and too many Luc Longleys.
Luc Longley has a few rings to his credit . How about two few Boguts and too many Sean Marks'.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Luc Longley has a few rings to his credit . How about two few Boguts and too many Sean Marks'.
Nice one. I'd say the Bulls got those rings despite Longley, but you do give a better example with Marks.