cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Deep River

I was curious what the song "Deep River" might have sounded like in the case of Requiem's choir, so I did a youtube search.

Traditional rendition (I think) of "Deep River":

Then I came across this, an acoustic guitar version of Deep River which I really liked. It's like black gospel meets Japanese Koto.

Deep River:

More from this guy:

Nearer my God:

http://www.myspace.com/kawolofsamarkand
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If this blues guitarist played a version of a Mormon hymn, would that fly in sacrament meeting?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If this blues guitarist played a version of a Mormon hymn, would that fly in sacrament meeting?
I'm pretty sure guitars are on the "not in sacrament meeting" list. Not just Bishop's discretion.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I'm pretty sure guitars are on the "not in sacrament meeting" list. Not just Bishop's discretion.
Luckily our Bishop doesn't follow the rules when he feels what is right is right.

What about trumpets? Are angels going to come down to heart with full organs?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'll have to double-check the handbook, but I believe this is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
It would be very appropriate in my congregation. Thanks for your versions of Deep River. The Wilberg choral arrangement is a bit faster paced and not as stylized as your traditional performance. It is really a spiritual work and not in conflict with any LDS tenets. If it's good enough for the Tab Choir to perform on Sunday, it should be good enough in a ward setting.
At the risk of sounding repetitive, I repeat that not all ward/stake/general meetings are created equal. Just because the Choir may do a certain rendition for a performance doesn't necessarily mean it's sacrament meeting appropriate.

I'm pretty liberal on baptismal services, auxiliary meetings, and firesides. I'm more traditional and strict on sacrament meetings and large gatherings like a stake or General conference, and I think you'll find that to be a general pattern across the church.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
At the risk of sounding repetitive, I repeat that not all ward/stake/general meetings are created equal. Just because the Choir may do a certain rendition for a performance doesn't necessarily mean it's sacrament meeting appropriate.

I'm pretty liberal on baptismal services, auxiliary meetings, and firesides. I'm more traditional and strict on sacrament meetings and large gatherings like a stake or General conference, and I think you'll find that to be a general pattern across the church.
The way this was explained to me is that even stake / general conferences have more liberal guidelines since there is not an ordinance taking place. The fact that the purpose of the meeting is to partake of the Sacrament is why they are so strict.

Not saying that's right or wrong ... but that's what I was told by a Stake Pres once.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
The way this was explained to me is that even stake / general conferences have more liberal guidelines since there is not an ordinance taking place. The fact that the purpose of the meeting is to partake of the Sacrament is why they are so strict.

Not saying that's right or wrong ... but that's what I was told by a Stake Pres once.
If sacrament meeting is so important, why the wailing children and the mind-numbing talks and the 10 minutes of announcements?

I think spiritual music would help me a lot more than these other things.

Farrah is in charge of the music of our ward, and she was given a mandate to really do something special and so far we have only gotten a Janice Kapp Perry number. I'm very disappointed so far.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If sacrament meeting is so important, why the wailing children and the mind-numbing talks and the 10 minutes of announcements?
Come to think of it, you're right, this does sound a lot like CG.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
I think spiritual music would help me a lot more than these other things.
I don't disagree with you on that. Just explaining why Sac. Mtg. is treated different than other meetings. The bottom line is that it is supposed to be "more revererent / spiritual". Of course, how you accomplish that would be different to everyone ... so go figure.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Farrah is in charge of the music of our ward, and she was given a mandate to really do something special and so far we have only gotten a Janice Kapp Perry number. I'm very disappointed so far.
As you very well know, I did not pick the music. The music number I had planned canceled, so the girl picked a piece that she already knew. I was glad she could fill in at the last minute.

I have a couple classical pieces planned, and some organ/piano duets. We are one of the few buildings around to have a pipe organ, so I figure we should take advantage of that. I'm also hoping to incorporate the professional percussionist in somehow.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote