cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would we recruit better in a BCS conference?

I think so, but only marginally so. For Utah, it would be a huge boost. For us, a small boost.

We get basically the same LDS kids we always get.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road

I agree that Utah would get a larger boost than us, for the reasons you suggested, but I think the "better recruits in a BCS conference" is overblownm and Utah's improvement would likewise be marginal. As much as I'd like to be in a BCS conference and would be happy being a run-of-the-mill BCS team, challenging for a PAC-10/Big-12 championship would be fewer and farther between than Cougar/Ute fans think.

We'd more likely resemble Arizona than USC.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
I agree that Utah would get a larger boost than us, for the reasons you suggested, but I think the "better recruits in a BCS conference" is overblownm and Utah's improvement would likewise be marginal. As much as I'd like to be in a BCS conference and would be happy being a run-of-the-mill BCS team, challenging for a PAC-10/Big-12 championship would be fewer and farther between than Cougar/Ute fans think.

We'd more likely resemble Arizona than USC.
I'd much rather be Arizona in the Pac 10 then BYU in the MWC. We could finish 5th and still get the same bowl. Our home schedule would never look like last year's.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'd much rather be Arizona in the Pac 10 then BYU in the MWC. We could finish 5th and still get the same bowl. Our home schedule would never look like last year's.
I agree, and it's not even debatable. a one-twelth share of $17M every year sould seal that deal.

Not to mention getting to be elitist by excluding the have-nots.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think so, but only marginally so. For Utah, it would be a huge boost. For us, a small boost.

We get basically the same LDS kids we always get.
The data's not totally sufficient, but the picture I'm getting is that as a % of 3 and 4 star LDS recruits, we are getting less and less over time. I believe we're getting less than 50% now. So I don't think you can say we'd get the same kids. I think it would be a big boost, could be huge.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The data's not totally sufficient, but the picture I'm getting is that as a % of 3 and 4 star LDS recruits, we are getting less and less over time. I believe we're getting less than 50% now. So I don't think you can say we'd get the same kids. I think it would be a big boost, could be huge.
I think there are more now. The world has become aware of the Poly's in Utah and Hawaii. I think the talent level Mendenhall is bringing in is beginning to approach the pre-Lavell HC/Admin wars and meltdowns in the late 90's. I felt that starting with last year BYU was as deep, athletic and talented as they were in the mid 90's. Nothing has convinced me that this years team lacks in those areas, they just lack offensive experience and time playing together.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
1. Are the 3/4 star LDS recruits we "miss out on" ones that we really needed? IOW, if we already landed four 3/4 star LDS OL, does it matter that we missed out on two others. Did we actually miss out on them if we already got our quota for that position?

2. As the US LDS population increases, is it necessary or feasible to get every quality LDS recruit? Does "missing out" leave us incapable of finding enough warm bodies to suit up?

3. Last year we had 15 3/4 star athletes commit. Of the two star athletes we signed, several have made more noise than some of the 3/4 star athletes we got (Manumaleuna, Beck, Jorgensen, Jordan Smith). Could it be that there are 2 star athletes that justifiably rate higher on the BYU coaches' charts than some overworked/underinformed Scout.com evaluator?

Bottom line, I'm not sure what you're observing implies what you're implying.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
1. Are the 3/4 star LDS recruits we "miss out on" ones that we really needed? IOW, if we already landed four 3/4 star LDS OL, does it matter that we missed out on two others. Did we actually miss out on them if we already got our quota for that position?
This is Goat's point as well. It's a valid point. The majority of the 3/4 stars on the lines. This is not a weak area. But it can always improve.

http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=2904223

I look at this list and think it might be nice to have some of these guys, though obviously you can't get all and some are 2 star guys that got better in college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
3. Last year we had 15 3/4 star athletes commit. Of the two star athletes we signed, several have made more noise than some of the 3/4 star athletes we got (Manumaleuna, Beck, Jorgensen, Jordan Smith). Could it be that there are 2 star athletes that justifiably rate higher on the BYU coaches' charts than some overworked/underinformed Scout.com evaluator?
Stars may not be exact, but it's a safe bet a recruiting class of 22 5 star guys will be better than 22 4 stars guy will be better than 22 3 star guys, etc.

You mention some two star guys that have panned out, but there are more that are duds. Matt Allen, Judd Anderton, Aaron Attig, Chris Bolden just to go through the B's on the roster.

I don't know how significant a move to Pac 10 would be, but it would be a nice hit. Three effects

1. We'd hit on a few of the 3/4 star LDS recruits that want to play BCS
2. The three to five non-LDS we recruit each year would be slightly better caliber. Instead of choices are BYU, San Jose State, and New Mexico it might be BYU, Fresno State, and Colorado.
3. We'd need less "filler" 2 star/1 star guys
Old 10-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

We'd get more of the 4 and 5 star blue chip LDS recruits. That's for sure.

Other than that I really have no idea.

Being in a BCS Conference would certainly give BYU a better shot at say someone like Simi Kuli. An LDS 5 star JC Defensive End.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #10
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
We'd get more of the 4 and 5 star blue chip LDS recruits. That's for sure.
You mean guys like Matt Berry, Ben Olson and Ofa Moheatu?
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote