cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Even I have to admit it

That I was actually happy for McCain and Obama. McCain because while there was disapointment, he was gracious and that same time seem to have a genuine sense of relief that he wasn't the guy. Maybe that sounds weird, but he seemed content.

And happy for Obama because while he appeared exhausted, he also appeared to be what the country needs as a whole needs to begin a very divisive healing process... it was a red letter (no pun intended) date in American History.

When Obama won, I wasn't mad as this outcome seemed to be a foregone conclusion for a long time, and I had since believed that for awhile.

While some may view this next line as hyperbole...I honestly will be praying that the Lord blesses this man and guides him, as the next 4 years are going to be extremely difficult to dig ourselves out of the big hole we've created both domestic and foreign.

Truly one of the more significant nights in our Countrys history.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
That I was actually happy for McCain and Obama. McCain because while there was disapointment, he was gracious and that same time seem to have a genuine sense of relief that he wasn't the guy. Maybe that sounds weird, but he seemed content.

And happy for Obama because while he appeared exhausted, he also appeared to be what the country needs as a whole needs to begin a very divisive healing process... it was a red letter (no pun intended) date in American History.

When Obama won, I wasn't mad as this outcome seemed to be a foregone conclusion for a long time, and I had since believed that for awhile.

While some may view this next line as hyperbole...I honestly will be praying that the Lord blesses this man and guides him, as the next 4 years are going to be extremely difficult to dig ourselves out of the big hole we've created both domestic and foreign.

Truly one of the more significant nights in our Countrys history.
Even the elect . . . .

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting points about McCain. As they talked about this being his goal for the last 10 years, I got the sense that "even being considered" was good enough for him...especially considering where he came from in terms of losing to Bush in the previous primaries and having his campaign nearly dead 2 years ago.

As many have said, if he spoke in his campaign like he did last night, it could've bene a lot closer.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
As many have said, if he spoke in his campaign like he did last night, it could've bene a lot closer.
exactly! And it was the same with Hillary. Their finest moments were in their concessions. It's the only time they were ever genuine. Why not tap into that earlier?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

A few interesting stats (note 2008 numbers are preliminary and could shift slightly):

This was billed as a "turnout" election, with lots of enthusiasm for Obama, right?

2004 vote total: 122 million
2008 vote total: 118 million

In fact, Obama just about equaled what Bush got in 2004 (62 million).

And the youth vote?

2004: 17%
2008: 18%

Not much there. Also, here's an interesting breakdown by race on Prop 8:

Whites: 47-53
Blacks: 70-30
Latinos: 51-49
Asians: 47-53

Looks like strong black and moderate latino support (10% and 19% of CA electorate, respectively) may have made the difference.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Also, if anyone else cares, seats lost by Tom Delay (TX-22) and Mark Foley (FL-16) were recaptured by Republicans, as expected. They were both solid Republican districts.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Not much there. Also, here's an interesting breakdown by race on Prop 8:

Whites: 47-53
Blacks: 70-30
Latinos: 51-49
Asians: 47-53

Looks like strong black and moderate latino support (10% and 19% of CA electorate, respectively) may have made the difference.
That's odd. I have never understood why blacks always vote that way on gay issues. Anybody have any insight?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That's odd. I have never understood why blacks always vote that way on gay issues. Anybody have any insight?
Maybe their moral compass isn't all shot to hell?
Old 11-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Some ideas:

Blacks are socially conservative.

Blacks may view their civil rights struggle in uniquely racial terms and not all that happy to include other groups (even Hispanics). Given their social conservatism, Blacks for the most part still see homosexuality as a choice and probably resent the gay rights movement trying to frame its struggle in the same terms as the black civil rights movement.

I suppose this will change over time, but I think these attitudes will lag those of other groups.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
They want to keep The Down Low, down low.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote