cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I don't know how it happens. I supsect this is how it happened to me. I was taught JS brought or polygamy was revealed to him. He really didn't want to do it. Emma was against it but consented because he had to have her permission, first wife. He married a couple of other gals and it was mainly because they needed to be helped. Later I was taught polygamy was primarily practiced because there was such a huge ratio of women to men.

None of that seemed like such a big deal to me. Anyone who even suggested this might not be the whole truth was either shouted down as apostates or laughed at.

It must cause some great fear to some, that people can openly talk about other possibilities. I think that is why Indy, Lingo and Tex take shots on occasion about this site and the heretical things they think are said here.
That was what I was taught too. Now I know that Joseph used his authority to get women to go to bed with him. It bothers me a lot. I'm not leaving the church or anything, because I guess as Sooner says, I like Mormon-flavored ice cream.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Look, I'm genuinely sorry for derailing the discussion. I think the suggestion that "Joseph was a horndog" or that he abused his prophetic call to get sex is among the most pernicious claims a person can make about him. Thus, I responded in the strongest terms I can.

It wasn't meant necessarily as a personal attack on marsupial, or to say that I am better than anyone ... simply that I think it is DEAD wrong, and rude to boot.

I certainly do not win the award for the rudest or most inartful debater on CG. The truth is, my views are tremendously unpopular here, and thus I take a lot of flack for it.
How do you explain Joseph marrying women who were already married? Did they need his sacred seed to be redeemed?

What about him marrying Orson Hyde's wife after he sent him on a mission? I don't how to explain it, Tex. Maybe someday it will all make sense to me. If that day comes then I will say, "Prophet Smith, I am sorry that with all the information I had on earth I just thought you were using your authority to take advantage of women. But now I know that 'marrying' other men's wives, your household helper and teenage girls was all a part God's beautiful plan to restore the gospel in the Latter-days."
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote