cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 02:42 AM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Expectations

BYU is a top 30 program in terms of historical success, attendance, facilities, fan interest, and recruiting base.

We're not a top 10 program, so let's not compare ourselves to Notre Dame, Nebraska, Texas. We're not a crappy program, so let's not compare ourselves to Utah, New Mexico, Louisiana Tech, etc.

We fit right in around #30 with schools like ASU, Colorado, Georgia Tech. These schools have losing records on occasion, but also have years when they are top 10.

I know we've been down, but we have the talent back up on offense and most positions on D. I should expect a top 25 team when BYU has a great senior QB and all the surrounding talent. They're not meeting expectations. And this about we should be happy with competing for MWC title or a winning record a bowl game makes me so mad I can spit.

A top 30 program that plays BYU's schedule year in and year out, the coach should have a .700 winning percentage. None of this be happy we're going to a bowl game crap. I'm not going to allow expectations to fall so low that we say gee whiz we're happy we're going to any crappy bowl.

If BYU admin's intention is to hire a no name coach for peanuts and tie his hands so he won't have any Honor Code excitement, then that's their business, but I can't be a fan of that kind of program.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:43 AM   #2
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
BYU is a top 30 program in terms of historical success, attendance, facilities, fan interest, and recruiting base.

We're not a top 10 program, so let's not compare ourselves to Notre Dame, Nebraska, Texas. We're not a crappy program, so let's not compare ourselves to Utah, New Mexico, Louisiana Tech, etc.

We fit right in around #30 with schools like ASU, Colorado, Georgia Tech. These schools have losing records on occasion, but also have years when they are top 10.

I know we've been down, but we have the talent back up on offense and most positions on D. I should expect a top 25 team when BYU has a great senior QB and all the surrounding talent. They're not meeting expectations. And this about we should be happy with competing for MWC title or a winning record a bowl game makes me so mad I can spit.

A top 30 program that plays BYU's schedule year in and year out, the coach should have a .700 winning percentage. None of this be happy we're going to a bowl game crap. I'm not going to allow expectations to fall so low that we say gee whiz we're happy we're going to any crappy bowl.

If BYU admin's intention is to hire a no name coach for peanuts and tie his hands so he won't have any Honor Code excitement, then that's their business, but I can't be a fan of that kind of program.
P.S. Mike I didn't think you'd stoop to filtering posts. Weak.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:02 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
P.S. Mike I didn't think you'd stoop to filtering posts. Weak.
I have no idea what you are talking about, but you sure get huffy a lot.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:04 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose you are saying top 30 after Lavell Edwards came on board. Certainly not top 30 in its overall history.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:52 AM   #5
JazzyUte

JazzyUte is an unknown quantity at this point

You're an idiot if you put the Utes in the same league as New Mexico and LA Tech. Utah actually wins conference championships and bowl games.
JazzyUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyUte
You're an idiot if you put the Utes in the same league as New Mexico and LA Tech. Utah actually wins conference championships and bowl games.
Nice try Utes. You guys get an outsider coach come in for a few years and win a few games, then they leave and you start over. This doesn't make you a top 30 program, it makes you Wyoming.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Nice try Utes. You guys get an outsider coach come in for a few years and win a few games, then they leave and you start over. This doesn't make you a top 30 program, it makes you Wyoming.
I see you ignored my post, but then, you didn't like the numbers I posted that contradicted everything you believe, eh?

You also completely ignored the fact that Mike pointed out that BYU was very good for 20 years when Edwards was head coach. BYU was nothing before Edwards and is closer to nothing now than it close to greatness.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:17 AM   #8
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I see you ignored my post, but then, you didn't like the numbers I posted that contradicted everything you believe, eh?

You also completely ignored the fact that Mike pointed out that BYU was very good for 20 years when Edwards was head coach. BYU was nothing before Edwards and is closer to nothing now than it close to greatness.
I'm not going to engage in a debate with a Ute who wants to talk about football records during the Great Depression.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:44 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm not going to engage in a debate with a Ute who wants to talk about football records during the Great Depression.
Oh, so then it must be true that college football only counts during the Edwards era. The fact that numbers don't lie is easily ignored by you folks. Whether or not you want to discuss it, what I posted is true and can't be disputed.

Why don't you just admit that you are incapable of objectively when it comes to the rivalry between Utah and BYU?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:55 AM   #10
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Oh, so then it must be true that college football only counts during the Edwards era. The fact that numbers don't lie is easily ignored by you folks. Whether or not you want to discuss it, what I posted is true and can't be disputed.

Why don't you just admit that you are incapable of objectively when it comes to the rivalry between Utah and BYU?
We dominate you when it comes to recruiting base, fan base, attendance, facilities, history (except for when you go back to when they wore leather helmets), etc. That is what makes and sustains a program. You need to get lucky on a coaching hire outside, which you did, to find success outside of those factors.

We got unlucky on a bad hire but success will come back because the base environment for a successful program is still there.

The only issue up for question is whether BYU admin is committed to sustain its successful program and not let the church issues get in the way. I worry that their lack of commitment to sustaining success led to another bad hire. That bad hire may become a good coach over time or we may have to wait him out or we may have to realize that BYU admin is not committed to football success. We'll see.

But nothing is more sure to all observers that you guys are capped out at a level of success that is far below us.