cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default evidence of the Mormon scientific view

Growing up I was told that cremation was a bad idea. Not absolutely forbidden, but very much discouraged. I asked my dad why. He said it was because it would be more difficult to be ressurrected.

Well, if you buy into the omnipotent God magic world-view, it makes no sense. A wave of the fingers and everything is taken care of.

But with a different view.....perhaps some essence of the body is required, DNA for example.

I find it very interesting.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I don't think it's any more difficult. To me, there's no more to it than the preservation of the body and the symbolism of the resurrection. Cremation connotes the "dust thou art and unto dust shalt thou return" ideology, which is certainly true. However, at the time of death, the more pleasant thought is that the spirit currently does not occupy the body, but that the two will be reunited again.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the no cremation policy is a relic from the old days. The members in Holland don't have much of a choice when it comew to cremation vs burial. There just isn't room anymore to be buried. I'd imagine it's similar in Japan and other places. It seems counterintuitive to say that God can create a body but if it is burnt to fine ash, well then we're not sure you can be resurrected.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I don't see anything wrong with ...

... cremation. Traditionally, LDS are against it based on custom. I am not aware of any doctrinal prohibition, however. It certainly would not prevent resurrection. Cremation is quite practical and economical, IMO. I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing that option.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:14 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
It seems counterintuitive to say that God can create a body but if it is burnt to fine ash, well then we're not sure you can be resurrected.
I hate to nit-pick here, but I just can't help it.

The body is pretty much vaporized while in the retort. The cremated remains are called ashes, but they really aren't ashes. After a cremation, what is left are bone fragments and perhaps some hardware if the box in which the body was placed had any hardeware.

The bone fragments are then put into a machine called a pulvierizer and are crushed into a powder, which would be what we call ashes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:23 AM   #6
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
It seems counterintuitive to say that God can create a body but if it is burnt to fine ash, well then we're not sure you can be resurrected.
I hate to nit-pick here, but I just can't help it.

The body is pretty much vaporized while in the retort. The cremated remains are called ashes, but they really aren't ashes. After a cremation, what is left are bone fragments and perhaps some hardware if the box in which the body was placed had any hardeware.

The bone fragments are then put into a machine called a pulvierizer and are crushed into a powder, which would be what we call ashes.
This is what happens when you let a former mortician on the site.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:28 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk
This is what happens when you let a former mortician on the site.
Something else that happens when you let a former mortician on the site is a provoked response that all the former mortician - who keeps his license current - has to do is forge the cremation authorization. Don't push it. :twisted:

It comes full circle, doesn't it?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:34 AM   #8
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Something else that happens when you let a former mortician on the site is a provoked response that all the former mortician - who keeps his license current - has to do is forge the cremation authorization. Don't push it. :twisted:

It comes full circle, doesn't it?
I am not concerned as I know you are far too much of a cheapskate to come up to Portland to get me.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:40 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk
I am not concerned as I know you are far too much of a cheapskate to come up to Portland to get me.
You are correct, dangit.

Still, we morticians are a tight knit group and I could make a phone call to one of my friends from mortuary school who lives and works in Vancouver, Washington. All he'd have to do is cross the river.

However, I'm too cheap to pay for the phone call, so it looks like you're off the hook.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:30 AM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The explanation I heard on the Church's "guidance" on the matter was that cremation didn't show reverence for our bodies. I never heard of it as explicit doctrine.

I think members too often hear opinions and suggestions and take them to be concrete doctrine.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote