cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need confirmation of Biden's claim

Joe Biden said something last night that I am having trouble with and would appreciate some help.

He said something to the effect that the Bush administration has given tax breaks to companies who off-shore their operations to other countries. He seemed to say it with the implication that the tax breaks were given to incentivize companies to move off shore. Or are these tax breaks coincidental with the off-shore movements and related to other facets of company operation?

Help me out with this one because I am finding it hard to believe that ANY administration would want to incentivize companies to move their operations off shore. We want jobs for people here in America, but we have to provide environments in which corporations can flourish, make money, and be competitive.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
Joe Biden said something last night that I am having trouble with and would appreciate some help.

He said something to the effect that the Bush administration has given tax breaks to companies who off-shore their operations to other countries. He seemed to say it with the implication that the tax breaks were given to incentivize companies to move off shore. Or are these tax breaks coincidental with the off-shore movements and related to other facets of company operation?

Help me out with this one because I am finding it hard to believe that ANY administration would want to incentivize companies to move their operations off shore. We want jobs for people here in America, but we have to provide environments in which corporations can flourish, make money, and be competitive.
How can you question he who sits at the right hand of the Holy One?
Some things we just need to accept on blind faith.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Let's see.........the US corporate tax rate is 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post

and if they go off-shore, in many cases it is 0%. I don't think the government needs any incentives to send any company off-shore. Our illustrious congress has already provided the incentive through their tax policies. BTW.........35% is the HIGHEST tax rate for business in the world; I believe.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
and if they go off-shore, in many cases it is 0%. I don't think the government needs any incentives to send any company off-shore. Our illustrious congress has already provided the incentive through their tax policies. BTW.........35% is the HIGHEST tax rate for business in the world; I believe.
Exute is talking out his butt.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=5561455
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
exUte

Default The corporate tax rate is NOT 35%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
That's what my post was about. What is the corporate tax rate, my enlightened one?

"McCain does call for a reduction in corporate taxes, from 35 percent now to 25 percent after 2014. But at least one Obama economic adviser has indicated that Obama himself might be open to a lower corporate tax rate — though not as low as McCain has recommended."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=5618988

Last edited by exUte; 08-28-2008 at 02:21 PM.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
That's what my post was about. What is the corporate tax rate, my enlightened one?
you're complaining about a tax rate that no one pays a dime on. Thanks for playing.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
exUte

Default I'm not complaining. I explaining WHY

Quote:
you're complaining about a tax rate that no one pays a dime on. Thanks for playing.
they go off-shore. Stick with your psychobabble. Economics if out of your league.

Question, do you buy stuff off the internet to avoid paying sales tax?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
they go off-shore. Stick with your psychobabble. Economics if out of your league.

Question, do you buy stuff off the internet to avoid paying sales tax?
Let's raise it to 100%. No one pays.

What's your point?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
exUte

Default Simple point.........

Quote:
Let's raise it to 100%. No one pays.

What's your point?
that's WHY they go offshore. It's OUR tax policies. Want to keep businesses here, reduce the taxes!

How guys like you think that the way to stimulate the economy and create jobs is to tax companies and citizens more, is beyond my comprehension.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
that's WHY they go offshore. It's OUR tax policies. Want to keep businesses here, reduce the taxes!

How guys like you think that the way to stimulate the economy and create jobs is to tax companies and citizens more, is beyond my comprehension.
Oh you think US companies will move all their operations back to the USA from China if we lower the corporate tax to zero?

Please, don't say yes and make a fool of yourself.