cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default Interesting Ponyboy makes accusations about Ute fans being racists last year

at the Ute game. He then goes and posts this. You think that he would post the same thing about a film if it was a bunch of white guys in organized crime?
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3159262
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
at the Ute game. He then goes and posts this. You think that he would post the same thing about a film if it was a bunch of white guys in organized crime?
Luckily, this stupidity is more realted to upbringing and not sanctioned by the Church.

Whenever this crap pops up, I try to make some smarmy comment about it, but I am surprised at how many others just let it slide. I know CB is home to a few happy, mixed marriages. I bet stuff like this thrills them.

"I am more afraid of black people than white people! Is that racist?"

No, ponyboy, no it isnt racist at all. It is a very rational thought you are having. Black people are totally more scary than white people!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post

Seems like you're looking to be offended, funk. You seem to harbor grudges far longer than any normal human being, and your grudge against Ponyboy is tainting your view.

It's dumb that anyone who mentions race these days is automatically racist.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

Whoa. Did he change the link? I thought he was talkng about this ponyboy post from today, which, in my opinion, is pretty dumb.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3159492

Seems like if you are making a bunch of these posts about blacks, you have a bigger issue that needs to be addressed.

Bringing up race doesnt make you a racist. But saying that playing black teams scares you (athletically) does seem like a stupid, racist thing to say, even if it may not be terribly offensive.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-08-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Bringing up race doesnt make you a racist. But saying that playing black teams scares you (athletically) does seem like a stupid, racist thing to say, even if it may not be terribly offensive.
Hmm... a question of perception, I guess. If someone said playing a white team (BYU) scared them (athletically) I wouldn't consider it stupid or racist. For whatever reason, there are definite differences among the races in these areas. The majority of players in the NBA are black. In the Olympics, most races are won by black athletes. It's not a racist slur in any way to notice that... why isn't it a compliment? Heck, I wish I was 6'6" and could jump 48" into the air.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #6
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Hmm... a question of perception, I guess. If someone said playing a white team (BYU) scared them (athletically) I wouldn't consider it stupid or racist. For whatever reason, there are definite differences among the races in these areas. The majority of players in the NBA are black. In the Olympics, most races are won by black athletes. It's not a racist slur in any way to notice that... why isn't it a compliment? Heck, I wish I was 6'6" and could jump 48" into the air.
Racism is absolutely a question of perception. This is why race relations are so poor. Whites cannot understand why blacks perceive everything as racist and blacks cannot understand that whites dont perceive all blacks in the poor manner that they claim.

So when you make a statement like, "I am afraid to play black teams, they are better athletes," it is a racist statement. Like I said, it may not be terribly offensive, but by definition, it is racist.

Jimmy The Greek didn't mean to be offensive, either. In fact, he may be historically accurate. But it was still perceived to be offensive.

Greek food, however, is not offensive at all, but instead, highly delicious.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Hmm... a question of perception, I guess. If someone said playing a white team (BYU) scared them (athletically) I wouldn't consider it stupid or racist.
Also, this hypo is ridiculous.

Nobody would ever be scared of playing BYU for athletic reasons...

*rimshot*

Old 11-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Also, this hypo is ridiculous.

Nobody would ever be scared of playing BYU for athletic reasons...

*rimshot*
True, that is ridiculous.

The correct assumption is that nobody should be scared of playing BYU for athletic reasons.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 11-09-2007 at 04:10 AM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:47 AM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I don't like Ponyboy. I endorse any accusation of racism against him, sight unseen. I do know he's a race baiter. I also picture him being one of those self-loathing socially conservative in the closet gays. I mean, come on: "Ponyboy"? He msut be gay. That handle is as gay as "JohnnyLingo."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:11 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't like Ponyboy. I endorse any accusation of racism against him, sight unseen. I do know he's a race baiter. I also picture him being one of those self-loathing socially conservative in the closet gays. I mean, come on: "Ponyboy"? He msut be gay. That handle is as gay as "JohnnyLingo."
You didn't like The Outsiders? Would Sodapop had been a better board name?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote