cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Lingo the new grace/mercy guy on CB?

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2509886

I don't know Lingo as well as you guys, but I thought he had the rep of being the ultimate hardass Mormon. Now he's getting crucified on CB for being too lenient on sinners? That's what you call a rough crowd...
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

At what length of time does an apology become adequate to address a really awful crime? I would argue that it never does. It also looks as though the apology was not completely forthright. This is a very serious crime and while it is better for the man to have apologized it does not erase the crime.

The biggest question I had while I read this is why nothing was done to investigate or prosecute at the time the crime was comitted?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
At what length of time does an apology become adequate to address a really awful crime? I would argue that it never does. It also looks as though the apology was not completely forthright. This is a very serious crime and while it is better for the man to have apologized it does not erase the crime.

The biggest question I had while I read this is why nothing was done to investigate or prosecute at the time the crime was comitted?
The article was long and I skimmed it. I was kinda on the side of the perpetrator and wanted to support JL in his take, but then when the perp dude gave his version of the story "we made out and you were into it and the next thing we know it's morning" or something like that, I can see why the victim flipped out and why the perp loses people's empathy.

But I just thought it was ironic that JL was playing the grace/mercy guy and taking his turn being the justice loving, lynch mob's whipping boy.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post

I probably fall in line of mercy more than justice, but the complexities devolving from the crime are so great, I can't see anything good in any direction.

Punishment is for purposes of deterrent, vengeance and protection. In punishing the perp, vengeance is being achieved, but after this long is it acting as a deterrent? Does it afford protection?

The apology is unfortunate for the victim as well. It appears she had put it behind her but the apology reopened the wound and did not provide her with any solace. Does the punishment provide her with solace?

The whole situation is tragic. A fascinating read however.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The article was long and I skimmed it. I was kinda on the side of the perpetrator and wanted to support JL in his take, but then when the perp dude gave his version of the story "we made out and you were into it and the next thing we know it's morning" or something like that, I can see why the victim flipped out and why the perp loses people's empathy.

But I just thought it was ironic that JL was playing the grace/mercy guy and taking his turn being the justice loving, lynch mob's whipping boy.
Some people get funny about rape.

I see the irony that JL gets a little taste of what he spends so much time giving out.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Lingo is a disaster. First off, the guy didn't really apologize. It was a kind of: things happen, it wasn't good, how are you doing? Yeah, thanks for the apology. This was my post that I put up on cougarboard discussing Lingo and his great ability at forgiving (this thread was deleted because I called out tough Lingo):

"Johnny Lingo followed up his brilliant post from yesterday: http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/messa ge.html?id=2509073 about how a man who committed a rape 20 years ago, got back in touch with his victim and apologized for it (not really apologizing because he didn't really come out and say that he raped her just that something bad took place). Well, it appears that this guy has felt real bad for years for doing this to this woman who has now turned vindictive (I think this is an appropriate word for how Johnny feels about her).

I learned that the stupidest thing that this guy did was for this rape to occur in Virginia where there are no rape statue of limitations: http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/messa ge.html?id=2509157
Well, Johnny has now let us know that he is still astounded over a woman, who was raped, would still be mad enough to want this guy to go to prison. I mean, it was so long ago...she is probably fine now and he is probably a great guy: http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/messa ge.html?id=2509886

So, lets let this be. I did learn though that if you do something really bad in your life, just hope you don't get caught, hope you live in a state where the statue of limitations exists and then kinda apologize thru email and letters in hopes that the person will have forgotten about it or that the person will be thankful that you are such a standup guy for apologizing. If only everyone could evade the law for decades and apologize and not get prosecuted. Words to live by, thanks Lingo."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Lingo is a disaster. First off, the guy didn't really apologize. It was a kind of: things happen, it wasn't good, how are you doing? Yeah, thanks for the apology. This was my post that I put up on cougarboard discussing Lingo and his great ability at forgiving (this thread was deleted because I called out tough Lingo):

"Johnny Lingo followed up his brilliant post from yesterday: http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/messa ge.html?id=2509073 about how a man who committed a rape 20 years ago, got back in touch with his victim and apologized for it (not really apologizing because he didn't really come out and say that he raped her just that something bad took place). Well, it appears that this guy has felt real bad for years for doing this to this woman who has now turned vindictive (I think this is an appropriate word for how Johnny feels about her).

I learned that the stupidest thing that this guy did was for this rape to occur in Virginia where there are no rape statue of limitations: http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/messa ge.html?id=2509157
Well, Johnny has now let us know that he is still astounded over a woman, who was raped, would still be mad enough to want this guy to go to prison. I mean, it was so long ago...she is probably fine now and he is probably a great guy: http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/messa ge.html?id=2509886

So, lets let this be. I did learn though that if you do something really bad in your life, just hope you don't get caught, hope you live in a state where the statue of limitations exists and then kinda apologize thru email and letters in hopes that the person will have forgotten about it or that the person will be thankful that you are such a standup guy for apologizing. If only everyone could evade the law for decades and apologize and not get prosecuted. Words to live by, thanks Lingo."
I think the real moral of the story is if you are thinking about confessing having committed a crime in the Old Dominion, give UtahDan a call and get talked out of it.

Charlottesville is right at the edge of my Baliwick.