cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU not "lock" for tourney

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubble...t&lid=tab5pos1

Quote:
Memphis, Air Force, Butler, UNLV and Nevada remain locks. BYU is all but there, too.

Brigham Young [20-6 (11-2), RPI: 21, SOS: 55] Rolled past New Mexico to stay on track. Just getting the two remaining home games at the inpenetrable Marriott Center might very well be enough -- or just get one at SDSU or Air Force. The lack of any nonconference heft is the only thing holding the Cougars back from lock status, but that might not matter. The Mountain West looks very good to get three bids this season.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

With that RPI of 21...there is no way that they are not a lock. Now, if BYU goes out and loses the rest of the games in conference and lose in the first round of the conference tourney, that would look terrible (4 straight losses) but even then, they would probably get in.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I think last night put us into lock status. If we had lost out including last night then we would have been outside. Now it's about seeding.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default I'm not sure we are a lock yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
there is a good chance we lose the next 2 games and end up in a 3 way tie for the conference championship. If that happens, we have the worst resume of the 3 teams, and a first round loss would put us in a borderline situation with the committee.

I think the MWC gets exactly 3 bids, so we need to root for AFA or UNLV to win the tourney, if we don't, to ensure we get in.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
there is a good chance we lose the next 2 games and end up in a 3 way tie for the conference championship. If that happens, we have the worst resume of the 3 teams, and a first round loss would put us in a borderline situation with the committee.

I think the MWC gets exactly 3 bids, so we need to root for AFA or UNLV to win the tourney, if we don't, to ensure we get in.
Agreed. I don't think BYU is a lock for the tourney just yet. Splitting the SDSU/AFA road trip I think will do that. But if we lose both road games, beat Utah at home, and lose our first round MWC Tourney game...then I don't think we're a lock at all.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

What's the definition of "lock"? I don't think the definition is that if you lose all your remaining games you're still in. A more reasonable definition to me is that you could finish poorly and still make it, which I would read winning at a minimum one more game anyway.

If we do that, and finish 1-3, it would be a travesty to gut excluded from tournament. The top 45 teams in the nation make the tourney, so it would mean we went from #21 to #46 with three losses, including two road losses that were somewhat expected. We would still finish top 30 in the RPI. We would still be co-champs in a good conference. We would still be 7-3 in our last 10 games. I see no possible way of that happening.

Now finishing 0-4, I can see the possibility of getting excluded. But that would require complete melt down, and we probably wouldn't deserve it anyway.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:26 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I just don't see any reason for BYU to not be in the tournament.

That said, we're talking about the NCAA and it's selection committee, so anything is possible.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote