cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Owls?

Does anybody know what type of tiny owls live here in the Southwest?

As I left the office this evening, outside was standing a little, pint-sized owl. Not a big barnyard owl, and hopped away from me. So I watched him gently hop away, stopping now and then to see what he could catch. Tiny pleasures, I am sure, for tiny minds. (mine that is.)
Old 01-26-2007, 04:07 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps it was the western screech owl?

Did it look like this?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Did it have an envelope in its beak or in its claw? If so, maybe it was your invitation to Hogwarts?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:05 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It might have been this type, but it was dark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrowing_Owl
Old 01-26-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I like owls. Our 'aumakua or family protector is the pueo or Hawaiian short-eared owl so owls have always been dear to me. Not that helps you find out what kind of owl you saw Archaea. Sorry.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I like owls. Our 'aumakua or family protector is the pueo or Hawaiian short-eared owl so owls have always been dear to me. Not that helps you find out what kind of owl you saw Archaea. Sorry.
That's a fascinating tradition. Does each generation in the family choose a different protector or is the protector kind of like a "coat of arms" that is passed from generation to generation? What kinds of protectors do other families have? What traditions surround the family protector? I would be very interested in hearing more about aumakua. Would you be willing to expound on it in another thread?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah
Default 'Aumakua

Per Big Fat Meanie's request this is what I know of the 'aumakua:

It's basically your ancestors in spirit. My understanding is that because they have passed on they are closer to the Gods and on their own path to deification and can draw upon the power of the Gods to intervene on behalf of their household and posterity. They can manifest themselves in several ways from animals to things like the wind and rain. It's not that the family chooses a protector. Rather it's the deceased ancestor who chooses in which way his/her spirit would be manifest. And it may not be the same thing each time. And different ancestors may choose different ways or forms in which to appear.

So to say that my 'aumakua is the pueo (owl) isn't exactly correct. It's not that all owls are my 'aumakua. But I reverence all of them the same because in certain interactions with 'aumakua my family believes that our ancestors choose the pueo with frequency, though I know of another instance where a family member believed to have encountered an 'aumakua in the form of a mo'o (lizard), specifically a white gecko. But typically it seems that each Hawaiian family identifies with one animal or another as their 'aumakua. You hear surfers say their 'aumakua is the shark all the time. The most powerful 'aumakua are the owl, hawk, gecko, and shark.

Now the 'aumakua don't appear for the sake of appearing but do so to offer protection, warnings, healings, forgiveness or curses. So depending on the physical manifestation and what the interaction is one should be able to understand what the experience was for.

The pueo usually relates to war and battle but also as a guardian to lead someone to safety and a healer. There are several legends regarding the pueo. The demigod Maui's brother was the pueo and rescued him once and led him to safety when imprisoned and set to be sacrificed.

I jacked this from someone's page to help understand the word 'aumakua better. It's from three words au/ma/kua. Here's the definitions for each:

"AU"

1. I, in the first person.

2. period of time, epoc, era, cycle, current, flow, eddy, movement
channel, canal, conduit

3.to trap

"MA"

1. In, on or at.
ex: "He kamailio ma ke kelepone"
A conversation on the telephone.

2.His or Her rentinue, entourage' or family, group
ex: "We went to see aunty Maille Ma"
-we went to see aunty Maille and all her group.

"KUA"

1. Back, rear, burden, or to carry on the back

2. To hew, chop, form or shape.

3. Variation of Akua or God/goddess.

4. Generations back, two or more

5. ridge, rib as in the spline of a palm frond
or the ridge of a mountain range

6. To turn into, take the appearence of.

Now using the definitions of the 3 words and combining them into a singular meaning, it creates a neat line between you and your ancestors.

This was the definition the author offered:

"Quite literally means, I (in the first person), am an era, a channel or conduit in the current or flow of time, carried on the backbone of those before me who have taken spirit/akua form, and whom I grow to appear as!"

So there you go.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Pygmy owl?

See, I got that from Harry Potter too.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote