cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are your thoughts on this story from the BBC?

http://search.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/sear...arch&scope=all

click on the story titled "worries over stem cell clinics" on the right to see the video.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I didn't sit through the whole thing because it's seven minutes long but I did watch up until the part where the ladies claimed they gave birth to live babies but were told they later died and were never allowed to see the boy.

My thoughts:

- I wonder what is more valuable - stem cells from a baby or the whole baby itself? If a healthy whole baby is more valuable because it can be sold to adoptive parents under the table then it is more likely that the babies were stolen and sold rather than killed for their stem cells.
- Some of the babies were from back in 2002. Stem cell research was obviously going on back then but it wasn't so much in the public consciousness. I'm speculating that the demand for stem cells wasn't as great in 2002 as it is now. If so, then I'm somewhat skeptical about babies in 2002 being killed for stem cells. I'm not saying it couldn't happen - just that I'm skeptical.
- There are going to be unscrupulous/evil people that will deceive, murder, defraud, etc. no matter what the technology. Chinese prisoners are murdered for their organs, babies are kidnapped for adoption, girl babies are aborted in such significant numbers in China that their population's gender percentages are skewed. To me, killing a baby for it's stem cells is about the same evilness as murdering for organs or killing because you don't like the gender. If the stores are true, the I hope the perpetrators rot in hell.

Those are my thoughts
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote