cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Beck's NFL potential--a way NOT to evaluate

his contribution at BYU.

I don't give a crap what a BYU QB does in the NFL. Ty Detmer was a stud at BYU, and his perceived failure in the NFL doesn't change one bit what he did for BYU.

If Beck is picked with the first draft in the first round or goes undrafted, it should have no impact on how BYU fans felt about his time here.

In the offseason when I argued with Beck homers about his contribution at BYU, they'd argue with Kiper's analysis of his pro potential. That means nothing to me. If a guy can't tie his shoelaces in college but blows up in the NFL, it does nothing to defend his college failure.

Now, some Beck defamers are trying to bring him down by saying he's not going to go high in the draft. I don't care. If he's awesome in college and sucks in the NFL, that doesn't change a bit how I think about him.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

I agree with that pretty much 100%.

I do think that having good QBs in the NFL is also good for the program and future recruits. I'm sure it's easier to recruit a good QB when Steve Young played at your school in the same offense and you can say "hey, look what we did with him, and he was 6th string at one point" or with McMahon winning Super Bowls, etc.

A coach with players in the NFL, especially successful players, is certainly going to help persuade talented recruits with NFL aspirations to come to his school.

My opinion of Beck, is that if he continues to play like he has lately, he'll likely go in the 4-6 range. He'd have to have a really good combine to get higher than that. But that's just my take.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote