cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 01:26 AM   #1
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default Supersize Me

Just watched this movie for the first time. That was some pretty scary stuff. The guy's liver was basically shutting down from the McD's food.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:32 AM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

I loved this show. If you like the documentary check out his show on FX. Its called 30 days (google Morgan Spurlock 30 days).
Old 07-26-2006, 01:58 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, it was a funny documentary. and makes you want to stay even further away from McDonalds, which is nasty anyway.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:13 AM   #4
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
yeah, it was a funny documentary. and makes you want to stay even further away from McDonalds, which is nasty anyway.
if you are interested there is a book called "Fast food nation" which is great. Basically from reading that I don't go to fast food places anymore (if I can help it)
Old 07-26-2006, 02:17 AM   #5
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

I loved it as far as entertainment goes but there were a few things about it that bothered me.

I don't think it was specific to that documentary... I think I just naturally dislike political filmmakers because they come off as far to self loving and often skirt the line between propoganda and documentation.

I also disliked the McD thing because I feel it gives people like my little sister an excuse for being fat. Honestly I heard her say (after seeing that movie), "See, it's addictive. I try to quit eating that stuff but I get headaches."
Old 07-26-2006, 02:20 AM   #6
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
I loved it as far as entertainment goes but there were a few things about it that bothered me.

I don't think it was specific to that documentary... I think I just naturally dislike political filmmakers because they come off as far to self loving and often skirt the line between propoganda and documentation.

I also disliked the McD thing because I feel it gives people like my little sister an excuse for being fat. Honestly I heard her say (after seeing that movie), "See, it's addictive. I try to quit eating that stuff but I get headaches."
I actually thought he did a pretty good job of focusing on the personal responsibility angle. He interviewed a lot of people who want to blame the fast food companies, lobbyists, etc. but I didn't feel like his personal commentary leaned that way. In fact his summation at the end was basically that it's up to you, fast food companies aren't going to change.

That said, in our entitlement based, excuse-ridden society, peple will use anything they can to abdicate their own responsibilities.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:04 AM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
I feel the same way. It was very entertaining, but he was way too dramatic. I had to roll my eyes when Spurlock vomited after eating a 1/4 pounder and a bag of fries on the 2nd day. What a lightweight.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote