cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Valentinus1

Valentinus1 is on a distinguished road
Default Questions on Apostasy

What makes someone an apostate?

Is it their unwillingness to believe the church's traditionally held beliefs?

Is it someone who chooses to dissent?

From research that I have done the September Six (exceptionally Avraham Gileadi), Margaret Toscano, Janice Allred, Grant Palmer, etc. are considered to be apostates?

Admittedly, Paul Toscano tends to have an antagonizing animosity directed toward the "arrogance, narcissism, and authoritarianism" he believes plagues church leadership. Also, with a bit more disdain toward Packer because of his involvement in Toscano's excommunication and even a little toward Oaks for lying to Steve Benson about Packer's involvement. I don't know the whole situation so I'm only speaking from what Toscano and Benson have said as well as a conversation between Oaks and Benson.

Furthermore, I ask why the disciplines? When reading documents by many of the people listed above, I only see critical analysis of historical accuracy, historical practice/policy vs. modern, explorations in different areas of Mormon theology, etc. History does matter. Just ask James W. Loewen (author of Lies My Teacher Told Me and Lies Across America).

Arrogantly, and I will own up to my use of a negative description, Packer makes the statement that the three greatest threats to the church are feminists, gays/lesbians, and intellectuals to the All Church Coordinating Council in 1993.

You all have been LDS for a much longer time than I have, so I am sure you are more than familiar with what I have discussed. But I am curious and would greatly appreciate fair and objective responses to my questions.

Having experienced MikeWaters, I won't be surprised if he chooses to respond with some form of sarcasm if he so chooses to respond.

-Teresa Moreno
Professor of Christian History and Ethics
Valentinus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone that attacks a belief or association that they previously held or espoused, in a rancorous way with the intention to undermine and belittle, without respect for the views, feelings, and agency of the believer/associate.

Next question.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Valentinus1

Valentinus1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Someone that attacks a belief or association that they previously held or espoused, in a rancorous way with the intention to undermine and belittle, without respect for the views, feelings, and agency of the believer/associate.

Next question.
This makes sense. Thanks Mike. With the definition you have given, I recognize people who chose to be offended or possibly "evangelized" by Christians. I don't mean to narrow those who fall under the label of apostasy to only these to categories. I'm only going with what I am familiar with.

Mike, have you ever met an apostate that didn't attempt to (after committing apostasy) downtrod the church?

-Teresa Moreno
Professor of Christian History and Ethics
Valentinus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Have I met someone who has left the church, doesn't agree with it, yet can be respectful of people who stay? Yes.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote