cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Lost Battalion

In stake priesthood meeting last night we received training from an area authority (?) who related the notes and training he had received from President Monson just prior to last General Conference.

He said that President Monson related a story of the Lost Battalion and the efforts to rescue it. This was compared to those who are lost in the church who need rescuing as well. Who have we saved lately, he asks?

So I quickly looked up "Lost Battalion" this morning.

There are two main "Lost Battalions" in US history. One from WWI and the other from WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Ba...n_(World_War_I)

It's interesting in this particular circumstance, a homing pigeon named Cher Ami helped saved this battalion, despite being severely wounded. It was awarded the Croix de Guerre Medal with a palm Oak Leaf Cluster, and is stuffed and displayed in the Smithsonian. This pigeon was famous enough to be known by school children in the 20s and 30s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Ba..._(World_War_II)

The second Lost Battalion I had heard of before. This was a Battalion from Texas that was eventually rescued by the 442nd Regimental Combat Team which was mostly Japanese-Americans. I had read a news article about this before, that featured a reunion between some of the Texans and these Japanese-Americans. The 442nd fought at great cost--per wiki: "I Company went in with 185 men; eight walked out unhurt. K Company began with 186 men; 17 walked out." When you contrast this sacrifice by these Japanese-Americans with the way their kin were treated by their countrymen--placed in concentration camps--you begin to see the meaning of true sacrifice...

Matthew 18:
12: How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?
13: And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.
14: Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

John 15
13: Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Leave the 99.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote