cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pure Awesomeness

Our Bishopric was reorganized on Sunday. One of the counselors was replaced. About the new counselor:

1. Wasn't present during sustaining.
2. Actually wasn't there at Sacrament meeting at all. It was like when records are read in, and the family of record isn't present. The out-going counselor bore his testimony and sat down with his family, and Bishop says, looks like Br. X isn't here.
3. New counselor was present during priesthood. Wearing an orange shirt and blazer with no tie. Awesome.

Now it turns out that he had some other thing (like a baby blessing) to attend, and he had been told by the SP that the change would not occur yesterday.

But other aspects:
4. He speaks broken-English (from Central America).
5. Is somewhat poor and struggles financially.
6. He really is dedicated to the gospel like few people you will meet. He has had several callings, including high council.

More awesomeness:
7. In Priesthood meeting, he tells us that he really doesn't want to be a counselor, he wants to be a ward missionary, but he will do what the Lord wants.

He really does break the mold of the well-off, white, educated person being called. Not that this always occurs, but certainly it happens enough to feel somewhat typical. I'm happy to sustain this brother.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Our Bishopric was reorganized on Sunday. One of the counselors was replaced. About the new counselor:

1. Wasn't present during sustaining.
2. Actually wasn't there at Sacrament meeting at all. It was like when records are read in, and the family of record isn't present. The out-going counselor bore his testimony and sat down with his family, and Bishop says, looks like Br. X isn't here.
3. New counselor was present during priesthood. Wearing an orange shirt and blazer with no tie. Awesome.

Now it turns out that he had some other thing (like a baby blessing) to attend, and he had been told by the SP that the change would not occur yesterday.

But other aspects:
4. He speaks broken-English (from Central America).
5. Is somewhat poor and struggles financially.
6. He really is dedicated to the gospel like few people you will meet. He has had several callings, including high council.

More awesomeness:
7. In Priesthood meeting, he tells us that he really doesn't want to be a counselor, he wants to be a ward missionary, but he will do what the Lord wants.

He really does break the mold of the well-off, white, educated person being called. Not that this always occurs, but certainly it happens enough to feel somewhat typical. I'm happy to sustain this brother.
If I were you, I'd just be happy it wasn't you.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Counselor that is not over YM and YW--what does that person actually do?

The luxury of being scoutmaster is that there are few other callings that take as much time and effort, so you don't have to be afraid of the hammer dropping.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Counselor that is not over YM and YW--what does that person actually do?

The luxury of being scoutmaster is that there are few other callings that take as much time and effort, so you don't have to be afraid of the hammer dropping.
In our ward, that's a seven to ten year calling. Good luck with that.

That counselor is over Primary and does whatever the Bishop doesn't wish to do. It's more work than you imagine and he collects the finances as well.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

btw, the counselor over the YM in my ward never once came to a campout or attended summer camp. Neither has the bishop.

*the exception being the stake father-and-son.

But if a counselor did in fact do that, like some bishops and counselors do, it would be a lot of time.

I consider counselor to be a busy calling, but only 1/10th as difficult as being a bishop. If that.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I don't, btw, think that the counselor or bishop *should* be attending campouts. They are busy enough. I just know that some counselors and bishops consider this part of their duties.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
btw, the counselor over the YM in my ward never once came to a campout or attended summer camp. Neither has the bishop.

*the exception being the stake father-and-son.

But if a counselor did in fact do that, like some bishops and counselors do, it would be a lot of time.

I consider counselor to be a busy calling, but only 1/10th as difficult as being a bishop. If that.
One or all usually attend campouts in our ward. You will rarely have a campout without at least one member of the bishopric in attendance. And there are times when the entire bishopric attends, usually at least once a month. If there are two montly campouts, then maybe only one attends. Maybe we don't have two campouts in a month, but it seems as if we do when the lads need a make up campout.

Last edited by Archaea; 01-19-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote