cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prop 8 is going to pass

95% reporting

Yes 5,163,908 52%
No 4,760,336 48%

With roughly 500,000 votes remaining to be counted, Yes leads by 403,500.

Note that this is significantly less than the 61% who voted for Prop 22 eight years ago.

Results
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
95% reporting

Yes 5,163,908 52%
No 4,760,336 48%

Note that this is significantly less than the 61% who voted for Prop 22 eight years ago.

Results
When the dust settles I think the BYU undisputed National Championship of 1984 will result in more convert baptisms than this. I hope the Brethren take notice and encourage the good Saints of the Kingdom to invest where the Church gets a higher return in the future.

As far as the comparison to Prop 22 I believe it was Judge Bork who called it "sliding towards Gomorroah!"
Old 11-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
95% reporting

Yes 5,163,908 52%
No 4,760,336 48%

Results
A tad belated, but is Prop 8 an amendment to the California constitution? If not, with the statute passed by the legislature already overturned, what's the use?
Old 11-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
A tad belated, but is Prop 8 an amendment to the California constitution? If not, with the statute passed by the legislature already overturned, what's the use?

It is a change to the constitution.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
It is a change to the constitution.
The original law was against the constitution, so it was placed on the ballot so they could make the law part of the constitution. This scares me because it is an example of mob rules. The Founding Fathers were careful to institute a representative government, not a complete democracy.

So any right or law is open for change? For example, religious freedom. If a state could get 50.01% of the population to vote to amend the state constitution to outlaw religion, wouldn't people lose their right to practice religion?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
The original law was against the constitution, so it was placed on the ballot so they could make the law part of the constitution. This scares me because it is an example of mob rules. The Founding Fathers were careful to institute a representative government, not a complete democracy.

So any right or law is open for change? For example, religious freedom. If a state could get 50.01% of the population to vote to amend the state constitution to outlaw religion, wouldn't people lose their right to practice religion?
I am thinking that your example would face a pretty stiff challenge when it was appealed to the federal constitution.

I think that if and when this one gets to the federal level the conclusion is that the states get to define what a marriage is.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I am thinking that your example would face a pretty stiff challenge when it was appealed to the federal constitution.

I think that if and when this one gets to the federal level the conclusion is that the states get to define what a marriage is.
What if, over the course of the next 20-30 years, the U.S. becomes a lot less religious, and voted to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban religion.
The courts couldn't do anything to stop it, could they? I know this is very unlikely, but who would have believed how much this country has changed in the past 30 years?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
What if, over the course of the next 20-30 years, the U.S. becomes a lot less religious, and voted to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban religion.
The courts couldn't do anything to stop it, could they? I know this is very unlikely, but who would have believed how much this country has changed in the past 30 years?
As far-fetched as that is... you bring up a good point. NOTHING in the Constitutio is immune from amendment.