cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just wondering if the LDS church has explained this.

Forgive me for not reading each of the previous 50 threads on Prop 8. Also this question certainly hasn't been addressed in my Elders Quorum in Mississippi.

If the church is not anti-gay but pro-family, what difference does it make if two gays marry? Is there a difference between an unmarried gay person who never has kids and a gay couple who never has kids? Or is there a fear that gay couples will adopt babies and teach them to be gay?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I have had the same question, but no clear answer.

If the problem with gay marriage is truly the risk of indoctrination of our children re: homosexuals as parents, then Prop8 will do next to nothing to stem that tide. I say next to nothing because the Gibbon astutely pointed out that Prop 8 would technically make it inaccurate to say that gays are married, which is a fair point.

However, from a practical perspective, kids will be free to learn about gays adopting, raising children, and being families, regardless of the outcome of prop 8.

So ultimately, the stated goal is not being achieved. Children are not being protected from said indoctrination.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Forgive me for not reading each of the previous 50 threads on Prop 8. Also this question certainly hasn't been addressed in my Elders Quorum in Mississippi.

If the church is not anti-gay but pro-family, what difference does it make if two gays marry? Is there a difference between an unmarried gay person who never has kids and a gay couple who never has kids? Or is there a fear that gay couples will adopt babies and teach them to be gay?
Sorry, but you really need to read the previous 50 threads. This is like asking, "Were the prophets really wrong to deny blacks the priesthood?"

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post

If the church is not anti-gay but pro-family, what difference does it make if two gays marry? I
Have you read the proclamation on the family?

"The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ."

"We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society."

Apparently some of you don't think that last paragraph applies to you.

Last edited by NorCal Cat; 11-04-2008 at 08:16 PM.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Sorry, but you really need to read the previous 50 threads. This is like asking, "Were the prophets really wrong to deny blacks the priesthood?"
Tex, nice avatar. I didnt know you were so into lesbians.

You should toss up a Samantha Ronson pic next.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Tex, nice avatar. I didnt know you were so into lesbians.
Oooh lesbians. Yummy!
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
Grigor

Grigor is on a distinguished road

Looking at this from a sociology standpoint, I don't think that the church feels that same-sex couples will support of carry on the values and standards that they feel are necessary for society to thrive.

Last edited by Grigor; 11-04-2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Grigor is offline   Reply With Quote