cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road
Default The next Prop 8

What does everyone think about legalizing/decriminalizing polygamy (when it involves consenting adults)?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
What does everyone think about legalizing/decriminalizing polygamy (when it involves consenting adults)?
I honestly think this has more to do with the church's opposition to gay marriage than the immorality of gay marriage itself.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I honestly think this has more to do with the church's opposition to gay marriage than the immorality of gay marriage itself.
meaning...? (with regards to polygamy)
Old 10-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Meaning I don't think the chruch wants to have to deal with the ramifications of opening marriage beyond one woman, one man, because it does not want to revisit the polygamy question. It stopped after being practiced for decades because of the failure to gain legal sanction. I don't think they want the legal sanction back. But I would never, never expect to hear any official articulation of that point.

Are you suggesting polygamy would be a problem for other reasons?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There's something to this. Even with official prohibitions, some LDS will try to dispel their repressed hatred of their own history.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
ERCougar

Quote:
Meaning I don't think the chruch wants to have to deal with the ramifications of opening marriage beyond one woman, one man, because it does not want to revisit the polygamy question. It stopped after being practiced for decades because of the failure to gain legal sanction. I don't think they want the legal sanction back. But I would never, never expect to hear any official articulation of that point.

Are you suggesting polygamy would be a problem for other reasons?
No. Except for cases of abuse or incest, I'm not really sure why it's our business if consenting adults want to marry. The irony is that two adults can have all the sex they want outside of their marriage, but as soon as they claim to be married in a polygamous/polyamorous/whatever relationship, they can be fired from their jobs and charged with a felony. To draw the analogy to gay marriage, I would rather have two (or more) people in some sort of committed relationship than not.

In the end, the only solution that makes sense is to make marriage a distinctly religious/personal commitment and leave the state out of it. If the state wants to somehow subsidize committed relationships, then they can't restrict the designation based on sexual orientation OR religious practice.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
ERCougar

Apparently no one cares about this. That's odd, because if people are so passionate about discrimination, this seems to be one of the more egregious examples. Why do we tolerate people being fired for religious practices that hurt no one? We don't tolerate firing someone because they're gay. Polygamists aren't even asking for legalization, just decriminalization.

One would also think that we as a historically persecuted religion would be particularly sensitive towards those persecuted for their religious beliefs--especially when we have so much in common with them. Maybe SIEQ/RHG are on to something.

Or maybe it's just not "cool" enough.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Apparently no one cares about this. That's odd, because if people are so passionate about discrimination, this seems to be one of the more egregious examples. Why do we tolerate people being fired for religious practices that hurt no one? We don't tolerate firing someone because they're gay. Polygamists aren't even asking for legalization, just decriminalization.

One would also think that we as a historically persecuted religion would be particularly sensitive towards those persecuted for their religious beliefs--especially when we have so much in common with them. Maybe SIEQ/RHG are on to something.

Or maybe it's just not "cool" enough.
Whoa there, Doc. Have a little patience. I agree with the points you have made.

While I think the church is wrong to fight to ban gay marriage as a result of the court decision, I would probably not be on the front lines pushing for gay marriage. Similarly, I don't see myself out there actively campaigning to legalize polygamy, but I would object if the church joined another political battle if the courts somehow decided that polygamy should be legalized. Does that make sense?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What we really need is for government to get out of the marriage business. If you want some type of "married" or "partner" status for legal purposes (inheritance, taxes, etc.), then you have to go to city hall and do the paperwork. Otherwise, let people and churches do what they want.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
What we really need is for government to get out of the marriage business. If you want some type of "married" or "partner" status for legal purposes (inheritance, taxes, etc.), then you have to go to city hall and do the paperwork. Otherwise, let people and churches do what they want.
Agreed.
Do you limit "married/partner" status to two people?