cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Johann Koss, the most respected Olympian alive

Jimmy what's his face did a piece on Johann Koss and the organization that he has helped build, Right to Play.

It was a very touching story about how this organization goes into war-torn poverty-stricken areas and uses sport to teach about life, compassion, teamwork, and even health.

It was built from nothing to currently a budget of $30 million per year. And it was stated that he is the most respected Olympian alive. Having been to Africa 5 months before his three-gold performance in the Winter Olympics, it nagged at him, what he had seen, and he did something about it. Something like 400 other Olympians have joined the organization to help.

At the beginning of the piece, Jimmy made the point that in many cases, athletes must be selfish to reach the top. That their singular vision to reach excellence prevents a focus on other things besides themselves. The three athletes depicted during this were 1) Tiger Woods, 2) John McEnroe, and 3) Michael Jordan.

Can anyone think of anything that these three have stood for? Helping minorities be better in golf, maybe?

The reason that top athletes don't fight for good in this world is that they don't want to offend anyone. If they offend people, or are perceived as liberal for example, their ability to endorse commercial products is lessened.

What issue is Phelps going to fight for? Something entirely innocuous, like HDTVs in cancer wards for kids.

Jimmy also says, I've never understood why athletes are heroes. This guy, is a hero.

This piece was probably offensive to many. It said some things that people don't want to hear.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the Tiger Woods Foundation just shows what a POS Tiger is.

http://www.tigerwoodsfoundation.org/

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Yes, the Tiger Woods Foundation just shows what a POS Tiger is.

http://www.tigerwoodsfoundation.org/
is there anything more vague and inoffensive that this writeup?

Quote:
Providing access to critical developmental programs is a priority for the Tiger Woods Foundation. Youth are encouraged to explore their interests and career aspirations in an inspiring and supportive environment at the Tiger Woods Learning Center. Achieving goals and reaching dreams is the focus of our nationwide character development program. The Foundation is giving youth the skills to lay their own groundwork for the future.
Proves my point.

IPU, you like to say that all charity should be private, and none of it should be paid for taxes, and then you give free passes to all the rich and famous that could be doing a helluva lot more, but don't.

Johann Koss is 100x the hero that Tiger Woods is.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
IPU, you like to say that all charity should be private, and none of it should be paid for taxes, and then you give free passes to all the rich and famous that could be doing a helluva lot more, but don't.
Isn't that kind of a catch-22? Charity should be private, but people who don't publicize their charity work get ripped because we think they're doing nothing, because it's not publicized.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Isn't that kind of a catch-22? Charity should be private, but people who don't publicize their charity work get ripped because we think they're doing nothing, because it's not publicized.
Some charity should be private, some should not.

In that post above, I meant "private sector."
Old 08-26-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
is there anything more vague and inoffensive that this writeup?

Proves my point.

Johann Koss is 100x the hero that Tiger Woods is.
You said Tiger has done nothing more than helping minorities be better at golf. My link proved you wrong.

Are you saying that Tiger has done nothing? In your opinion, what more should he do? Please be specific.

And I said that my charity should be private. If others want to do things publicly, that is their decision.

And I can be more charitable if I'm taxes less. Once again, speaking for myself.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 08-26-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:25 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
You said Tiger has done nothing more than helping minorities be better at golf. My link proved you wrong.

Are you saying that Tiger has done nothing? In your opinion, what more should he do? Please be specific.

And I said that my charity should be private. If others want to do things publicly, that is their decision.

And I can be more charitable if I'm taxes less. Once again, speaking for myself.
For those with reading comprehension, and read the adult version of Call of the Wild, you can see the word "maybe". Educated people will read that as an educated guess. Educated intelligent people can see that I was right on when I suggested it would be a boring, innocuous, inoffensive effort so as not to endanger sponsorships.

I tell the freaking obvious truth here and I get nothing but blowback.

Are you going to be freaking defending Kobe Bryant next? And all his important charity? Kobe Bryant, one of the most respected athletes in China. Imagine if he spoke out in favor of the oppressed minorities in China? Think of the good that could do. But will he? Never. There's money to be made in China.

And of course you are the first to jump onto the bandwagon condemning actors for doing things like saying Tibet ought to be free. They say these things at their own financial cost. Sharon Stone spoke out on Tibet, her films were banned, and she lost the Christian Dior China endorsement.

Personally, I think you sneer at people that would speak out on Tibet, support them. Why? Well, that's your own question to answer.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:32 AM   #8
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Ellsworth Toohey.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
For those with reading comprehension, and read the adult version of Call of the Wild, you can see the word "maybe". Educated people will read that as an educated guess. Educated intelligent people can see that I was right on when I suggested it would be a boring, innocuous, inoffensive effort so as not to endanger sponsorships.

I tell the freaking obvious truth here and I get nothing but blowback.

Are you going to be freaking defending Kobe Bryant next? And all his important charity? Kobe Bryant, one of the most respected athletes in China. Imagine if he spoke out in favor of the oppressed minorities in China? Think of the good that could do. But will he? Never. There's money to be made in China.

And of course you are the first to jump onto the bandwagon condemning actors for doing things like saying Tibet ought to be free. They say these things at their own financial cost. Sharon Stone spoke out on Tibet, her films were banned, and she lost the Christian Dior China endorsement.

Personally, I think you sneer at people that would speak out on Tibet, support them. Why? Well, that's your own question to answer.
You're right, I left out maybe; however, like you, I was using hyperbole to prove my point.

As for doing this in order to keep endorsements, the burden of proof is on you. Please provide links to articles that back your accusations. No opinions, please. Provide hard evidence. If you're so sure that's why, then it would be easy for you to do it.

I fail to see anything offensive about helping kids to find it within themselves to accomplish what they want.

I think Kobe is a despicable person. Does he even have any kind of charitable foundation?

Your opinion that I sneer at people who would speak out on Tibet is wrong.

As for me needing to answer the question on my own, the answer is that you seem to think you are a better person than I am - or anyone else on the board is for that matter - and you've created your own little fantasy land where you are good and all you disagree with you are evil. If that is what helps you sleep at night, or gets you through each day, so be it. I doubt I will ever be able to convince you otherwise about me, so I'll continue living my life knowing that what I do isn't bad and not be impressed by your concern for so many others.

Please provide a link where I've condemned any actor for saying things like Tibet should be free. Again, the burden of proof is on you.

You talk a lot about the situation in Tibet and talk even more about the situation between Israel and Palestine. Talk is cheap. It means little. Quit your job and take your family to Tibet to help free them from oppression and I'll be impressed. Go to the Gaza Strip and help the Palestinians fight the Israelis. Until then, shut the hell up about how much better you are than I am.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
You're right, I left out maybe; however, like you, I was using hyperbole to prove my point.

As for doing this in order to keep endorsements, the burden of proof is on you. Please provide links to articles that back your accusations. No opinions, please. Provide hard evidence. If you're so sure that's why, then it would be easy for you to do it.

I fail to see anything offensive about helping kids to find it within themselves to accomplish what they want.

I think Kobe is a despicable person. Does he even have any kind of charitable foundation?

Your opinion that I sneer at people who would speak out on Tibet is wrong.

As for me needing to answer the question on my own, the answer is that you seem to think you are a better person than I am - or anyone else on the board is for that matter - and you've created your own little fantasy land where you are good and all you disagree with you are evil. If that is what helps you sleep at night, or gets you through each day, so be it. I doubt I will ever be able to convince you otherwise about me, so I'll continue living my life knowing that what I do isn't bad and not be impressed by your concern for so many others.

Please provide a link where I've condemned any actor for saying things like Tibet should be free. Again, the burden of proof is on you.

You talk a lot about the situation in Tibet and talk even more about the situation between Israel and Palestine. Talk is cheap. It means little. Quit your job and take your family to Tibet to help free them from oppression and I'll be impressed. Go to the Gaza Strip and help the Palestinians fight the Israelis. Until then, shut the hell up about how much better you are than I am.
this is the burden of speaking out on these issues.

dealing with people like this.

I can only imagine what Jimmy had to deal with after his report came out. The calls from the agents of Mcenroe, Woods, Jordan. Angry letters, emails, phone calls.

Hell, I just write a stupid message recounting essentially what Jimmy said, and I am called out as a hypocrite arrogant loser.

Here is a writeup on Kobe's new foundation (his first one closed shop, it paid about $60,000 a year to "fight" child abuse). The new foundation wants black and hispanic college students to tour Europe. How noble. I wonder if that will endanger any sponsorships.

http://nbakobebryant.blogspot.com/20...see-light.html