cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Olympic musings.....

1) Synchronized gymnastics and ping pong but not real sports like women's softball or mens baseball? C'mon. I guess it's part of the politically correct nature of the olympics. It's more about 'feel good' sports; giving every country an opportunity to win at something.

2) The nationalities of athletes representing 'their' country is a joke. The two Georgian beach volleyballers.....Brasilians. Russian women's basketball player.....US. And it goes on and on. You can shop your athleticism to the country who is willing to give you a passport?

3) Chinese gymnasts.........15 or older? Nuff said.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really think it's that big of a deal that there are athletes representing a country of which he/she may or may not be a citizen. Didn't Shawn Bradley play for Germany in the games a number of years ago?

I do agree about the sports that shouldn't be Olympic sports. The IOC is going to drop baseball but keep synchronized diving?

China has to put on airs in order to try to convince the world that they are not as bad as the world knows it is. If they have to use 13 year old girls to compete at gymnastics, they'll do it. China gotta do what China gotta do.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

They actually have good reason to drop baseball--the Olympics is supposed to be about the best players in the world.

Baseball trots out college player and minor leaguers, a far cry from the best ballplayers in the world.

No best players, no Olympics. Simple as that. They got this one right.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
They actually have good reason to drop baseball--the Olympics is supposed to be about the best players in the world.

Baseball trots out college player and minor leaguers, a far cry from the best ballplayers in the world.

No best players, no Olympics. Simple as that. They got this one right.
You make a fair point. NHL suspends play for the 3 weeks during the winter games.

Still, I'd much rather watch baseball than a lot of the events they have.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Can someone please convince me why its a bad thing that China may or may not be using 13 year old girls on their gymnastics team? Aside from the whole "against the rules" thing.

If the Olympics really is about bringing in the best athletes to compete, why not let their Beehive class have at it? If you can't beat a couple of 13 year olds, maybe you don't deserve a Gold.

Like Walter Dix said after learning he won the Bronze last night by way of DQ, "Yeah, but I still lost".
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Can someone please convince me why its a bad thing that China may or may not be using 13 year old girls on their gymnastics team? Aside from the whole "against the rules" thing.

If the Olympics really is about bringing in the best athletes to compete, why not let their Beehive class have at it? If you can't beat a couple of 13 year olds, maybe you don't deserve a Gold.

Like Walter Dix said after learning he won the Bronze last night by way of DQ, "Yeah, but I still lost".
it's a reaction to all the abuse and injuries that young girls suffered before they increased the ages.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post

Here is my beef with letting 13 year old girls compete...

They only compete in the annoying events....gymnastics, dancing (the one with the ball or the ribbon on a stick), trampoline, and all the synchronized activities.

If we eliminate the 13 year olds, there is no more need for those dumb events.

I am all for letting these girls age a few years, fill out, and then come back. Once they have breasts, let them jump on trampolines all day long.

On a side note, I am thinking of volunteering to be an official butt-slapper for the US female athletes. Our women waste too much energy between points and after events slapping each other on the butt. I will be the one who runs around during each event tapping everyone on the cheeks. What can I say, I am a patriot...and my flag's at FULL STAFF, baby!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
it's a reaction to all the abuse and injuries that young girls suffered before they increased the ages.
Yes, this is a horrible practice.

You would never see that kind of child endangerment here in the USA.

Sincerely,

maldjusted Hollywood child actors

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'd argue that they still suffer the abuses waiting their turn.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I love baseball, but I'm not sad to see it go as an Olympic sport. It just doesn't have an Olympic feel to me. I guess if a sport already has a huge league and a huge fanbase and a yearly championship that is seen as greater than Olympic gold, then seeing that sport in the Olympic games doesn't feel special. I feel this way about basketball to an extent as well.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote