cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2008, 04:07 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default YM and jobs

A head-scratcher for me: none of the YM that are 16 and older in my ward have jobs.

They all come from relatively humble backgrounds, financially.

Not even the one who is leaving for BYU and whose family is poor. Ok, if you want to count the 19 year old who works from time-to-time for a ward member doing floors. He's leaving on a mission in 3 or 4 months and is probably not that far from his 20th birthday.

I don't get it. My circle of friends, almost all of us had jobs. My three closest friends, 2 sons of professors, and a son of a veternarian, held menial-type jobs.

The only thing I can come up with is "poor ways are poor ways."

One of the YW in my ward, she WALKS to her job. She worked something like 30 hours/wk during the school year, and pulled a 3.2, despite coming from a dirt-poor family. She hands over most of her check to her mother for the family.

She's gonna make it.

I'm not so sure about a lot of the YM. Another irony: a YM who has been inactive for a couple years now, has consistently held down a job. He attends briefly during stake basketball season in order to qualify for the team. LOL.

Should I bring up the issue? Talk to the parents?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
venomous viper

venomous viper is on a distinguished road

Mike- how do I start a thread? I just received a 36, 524 day suspension from jefe. I want to post his reason and the post that got me exed. It will be a fun read...
venomous viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Go to the Chit Chat form, then in the top left click "new thread".

Or just go to this link:
http://cougarguard.com/forum/newthre...newthread&f=15
Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A head-scratcher for me: none of the YM that are 16 and older in my ward have jobs.

They all come from relatively humble backgrounds, financially.

Not even the one who is leaving for BYU and whose family is poor. Ok, if you want to count the 19 year old who works from time-to-time for a ward member doing floors. He's leaving on a mission in 3 or 4 months and is probably not that far from his 20th birthday.

I don't get it. My circle of friends, almost all of us had jobs. My three closest friends, 2 sons of professors, and a son of a veternarian, held menial-type jobs.

The only thing I can come up with is "poor ways are poor ways."

One of the YW in my ward, she WALKS to her job. She worked something like 30 hours/wk during the school year, and pulled a 3.2, despite coming from a dirt-poor family. She hands over most of her check to her mother for the family.

She's gonna make it.

I'm not so sure about a lot of the YM. Another irony: a YM who has been inactive for a couple years now, has consistently held down a job. He attends briefly during stake basketball season in order to qualify for the team. LOL.

Should I bring up the issue? Talk to the parents?
I have to admit, I'm also concerned about some of our YM. I spent three days at Scout Camp last week, and I was pretty shocked at the amount of sitting around they were doing. Two of the boys from the other troop that we're combined with came home with exactly ZERO merit badges. Their Scoutmaster was there until Tues. and then the YM Pres. came up, so I don't know if they felt like w/o the Scoutmaster there they could do whatever they wanted, but it was pretty discouraging. I could tell their YM Pres. wanted to throttle them, but you can't force them to do anything.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I have to admit, I'm also concerned about some of our YM. I spent three days at Scout Camp last week, and I was pretty shocked at the amount of sitting around they were doing. Two of the boys from the other troop that we're combined with came home with exactly ZERO merit badges. Their Scoutmaster was there until Tues. and then the YM Pres. came up, so I don't know if they felt like w/o the Scoutmaster there they could do whatever they wanted, but it was pretty discouraging. I could tell their YM Pres. wanted to throttle them, but you can't force them to do anything.
I felt the same way about a couple of the boys at summer camp.

Loser ways are loser ways. I try to encourage, I try to guilt trip, nothing works.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

This is sort of off topic but semi-applicable. Has anyone else noticed the lack of menial jobs available for YM under the age of 16? When I was that age, I had a paper route at one time, I mowed lawns, I pulled weeds, I dug ditches and many many other tough, crappy jobs that people didn't want to do. Now it seems everyone has a gardener or they want to do it themselves. I live in a modest neighborhood of starter homes with a bunch of middle class Joes. I am the only one on my street that doesn't use a gardener. Maybe this will change as fuel and food costs continue to rise and expendable income shrinks. But a lot of the work opportunities I had as a kid (prior to 16) just aren't available anymore.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I dont know what's available these days, but I do not relate to not wanting a job as a teen.

I actually lied about my age to get my first part-time job. I was 14 and I wanted to work at a bakery chain called La Petite Boulangerie. I got the job and was operating baking ovens and meat slicers before I was 15.

I loved making money and being able to buy a skateboard or whatever else I wanted. Also, this was pre-tithing, so 10% didnt automatically fly out the window. I was living large on my minimum wage $3.05 an hour or whatever it was.

I worked all through HS....always finding a fun job.....I never worked fast food, thank goodness. I did work at a record store (Music Plus Records and Tapes) and the UA Movie Theater. Remind me one day to tell everyone how we would make a hundred or so extra bucks every night we worked there....it may gross some of you out, but I think it is a heartwarming tale.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Remind me one day to tell everyone how we would make a hundred or so extra bucks every night we worked there....it may gross some of you out, but I think it is a heartwarming tale.
Look DDD, what happened between you and a few desperate old men in the 1980's is nothing you have to share with us. It's over now, you can heal.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Look DDD, what happened between you and a few desperate old men in the 1980's is nothing you have to share with us. It's over now, you can heal.
LOL....man, i walked into that one. I didnt even see the perfect set-up, either. Nice job.

No, actually nothing that salacious.

we basically worked in two-man teams...one cleaning theaters and one selling concessions. Since the cups and popcorn buckets were inventoried, the cleaner would collect used soda cups and popcorn buckets and sneak them back to the candy seller. The candy seller would keep track of those and simply pocket all cash associated with those sales. On a Friday night, $100 was easy.

Many innocent people ate and drank out of used cups and buckets.

sigh. I have since repented.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote