cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default This is incredible!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4006951.shtml

I don't know if it will pan out, but you have to really admire the guy. I do wonder if cancer research is hampered a bit by an absence of "outside the box" thinking. This guy knows nothing about cancer or medicine, but knows a lot about radios and had a great idea. I hope it works.

Fascinating story.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Makes perfect sense....go man go!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

IMO, the thought of "no side effects" here is genuine science fiction.

It depends on how specifically you can target the nanoparticles to cancer cells.

With very rare exception, cancer cells express the same proteins on the cell surface that normal cells express. Because of this, it's very difficult to target something specifically to a cancer cell. Add to that the complexity of the fact cancers come in so many different forms, and you have an insurmountable problem.

It wouldn't be a surprise if the side effects from this radio-cooking therapy aren't much better than most other chemotherapies. Local injections to tumors might be the best bet, as long as nanoparticles don't leak into the blood and literally make someone's blood boil.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 04-17-2008 at 07:37 PM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
IMO, the thought of "no side effects" here is genuine science fiction.

It depends on how specifically you can target the nanoparticles to cancer cells.

With very rare exception, cancer cells express the same proteins on the cell surface that normal cells express. Because of this, it's very difficult to target something specifically to a cancer cell. Add to that the complexity of the fact cancers come in so many different forms, and you have an insurmountable problem.

It wouldn't be a surprise if the side effects from this radio-cooking therapy aren't much better than most other chemotherapies. Local injections to tumors might be the best bet, as long as nanoparticles don't leak into the blood and literally make someone's blood boil.
The article did make it sound like it was possible, even already existing, to have a cell that targets only cancerous cells and binds to them. What do you think of the information in the article below:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0622115203.htm

Interesting that the science article indicates the nanoparticles begin with a metal (gold) for creation and the guy in the 60 Minutes article needed just that.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
The article did make it sound like it was possible, even already existing, to have a cell that targets only cancerous cells and binds to them. What do you think of the information in the article below:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0622115203.htm

Interesting that the science article indicates the nanoparticles begin with a metal (gold) for creation and the guy in the 60 Minutes article needed just that.
Interesting

Quote:
“Beyond imaging, it may also be possible to specifically target and destroy cancer cells that internalize the nanoparticles by applying laser heat that intensifies in the presence of gold nanoparticles”, said Wang. “Another possibility is the attachment of drug molecules to these dendrimer nanoparticle systems”, added Baker, “since this will allow the direct delivery of drugs to the target cells”. The researchers are currently conducting further in vivo experiments to evaluate the suitability of this system for clinical applications.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
SoonerCoug

They were talking about targeting the nanoparticles with antibodies. Antibodies recognize proteins, and sometimes modifications of proteins. Proteins are expressed on all cells. For a protein to be expressed on a tumor cell, but not ANY normal cells, would be extraordinarily rare.

That's why they said this is still science fiction.

The closest thing to an antibody that speciifcally targets a variety of tumor cells is an antibody to something called the Tn-antigen, which is an unmodified sugar that doesn't exist on normal cells. However, the Tn-antigen only exists on a subset of tumors, and the antibodies to Tn are not very good... in other words, the antibodies would also bind "nonspecifically" to other cells.

It is EXTREMELY rare to find an antibody that somehow recognizes a specific tumor cell, but no normal cells.

You can doubt my knowledge of the issue, Indy. You want to go in depth? I'm telling you that specific targeting using antibodies is next to impossible for most cancers.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 04-17-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
They were talking about targeting the nanoparticles with antibodies. Antibodies recognize proteins, and sometimes modifications of proteins. Proteins are expressed on all cells. For a protein to be expressed on a tumor cell, but not ANY normal cells, would be extraordinarily rare.

That's why they said this is still science fiction.

The closest thing to an antibody that speciifcally targets tumor cells is an antibody to something called the Tn-antigen, which is an unmodified sugar that doesn't exist on normal cells. However, the Tn-antigen only exists on a subset of tumors, and the antibodies to Tn are not very good... in other words, the antibodies would also bind "nonspecifically" to other cells.

It is EXTREMELY rare to find an antibody that recognizes a specific tumor cell, but no normal cells.

You can doubt my knowledge of the issue, Indy. You want to go in depth? I'm telling you that specific targeting using antibodies is next to impossible for most cancers.
I'm not trying to argue. I browsed it quickly, but they talked about cancerous cells having higher levels of folic acid as if there might potentially be some way to exploit that trait.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm not trying to argue. I browsed it quickly, but they talked about cancerous cells having higher levels of folic acid as if there might potentially be some way to exploit that trait.
Yeah, they could exploit traits of tumor cells. Unfortunately, tumor cells still behave like normal cells (and look like normal cells) in so many ways that they will undoubtedly target normal cells too. Yes, the radio thing might be better than normal chemo. But the media love to twist and overstate things, and at this point the media (and the people involved in the project) are overstating things.

Remember gene therapy? Turned out to be 99% hype. Stem cells? Mostly hype (but still worth studying because you never know). In my opinion, this also sounds like hype. Still way too early to say much of anything.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 04-17-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yeah, they could exploit traits of tumor cells. Unfortunately, tumor cells still behave like normal cells (and look like normal cells) in so many ways that they will undoubtedly target normal cells too. Yes, the radio thing might be better than normal chemo. But the media love to twist and overstate things, and at this point the media (and the people involved in the project) are overstating things.

Remember gene therapy? Turned out to be 99% hype. Stem cells? Mostly hype (but still worth studying because you never know). In my opinion, this also sounds like hype. Still way too early to say much of anything.

You're just the man keeping us down. You probably belong to the same group that squelches those 200 mpg carburetors, too.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Obviously, the ability to focus on localized tumors presents some advantages. If they can find a way to provide a vector that ONLY attacks the cancer cells, it could be extremely effective.

I don't think the article said anything other than that.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote