cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dave Rose said Tavernari is the most improved player on the team........

He said that JT has always been a great offensive player but he was fighting the role they wanted him to play earlier this season, he has now bought in to the system, he has become a good defender, a solid rebounder and the best passer on the team.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
He said that JT has always been a great offensive player but he was fighting the role they wanted him to play earlier this season, he has now bought in to the system, he has become a good defender, a solid rebounder and the best passer on the team.
The most underrated aspect of a great coach is the psychologist aspect. You're working with unpredictable 20 yo kids. You have to find the right way to motivate an individual but then also not sacrifice the rest of the team. Rose is masterful in this aspect. Rose had a tremendously difficult task 1/3 through the season when JT was on the verge of melting down. He could have destroyed JT's confidence by kicking his butt too hard or he could been too easy on him and let him destroy the team. He played it perfectly. I think he's playing it perfectly with Plaisted and Jimmer as well.

A size 13 up the ass is the easy way out and usually doesn't pay as much dividends.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I'm pleased that Mike didn't get JT kicked off the team.

Thanks Mike!
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The most underrated aspect of a great coach is the psychologist aspect. You're working with unpredictable 20 yo kids. You have to find the right way to motivate an individual but then also not sacrifice the rest of the team. Rose is masterful in this aspect. Rose had a tremendously difficult task 1/3 through the season when JT was on the verge of melting down. He could have destroyed JT's confidence by kicking his butt too hard or he could been too easy on him and let him destroy the team. He played it perfectly. I think he's playing it perfectly with Plaisted and Jimmer as well.

A size 13 up the ass is the easy way out and usually doesn't pay as much dividends.
Dave Rose has done a spectacular job with this team. I think it has been his best coaching job so far. I really expect BYU to win a game in the dance and confirm my beliefs about Dave. The way he coached JT and this team through that slump has been impressive. If you look at the respective outlooks of both BYU and Utah from the days leading up to BYU-Utah in SLC to the respective outlooks of both today, it speaks to Rose's ability to coach. The key is winning that tourney game, with another loss it will all be pretty meaningless.

I do hope that all our mocking of Boylen doesn't end in sorrows. Size 13 up the ass is a proven way over time and Utah should have a better hoops program than BYU.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I'm pleased that Mike didn't get JT kicked off the team.

Thanks Mike!
Mike has come around. Now SoCalPat/TopUte is JayTav's numero uno rumormonger. I just hope he doesn't challenge JayTav to a fight. Mike learned a valuable lesson about lying for the Lord. I expect Mike will be present and accounted for for the TCU game teaching his little ones the sacred chants of "Rah, Rah, RahRahRah Rah, Rah RahRahRah Gooooooooooooo Kewgars!"

He will be doing cyber fist throwers with the rest of us when the BYU crashes through the round of 64! Let it be written, let it be done!
Old 03-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Mello Mike

Mello Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Some of his passes have been terrific!!!

I've enjoyed this aspect of his game almost as much as his shooting.
Mello Mike is offline   Reply With Quote