cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay
Default Honest question...

I have been wondering about something for a long time, as in years. So I figure I'll let you all weigh in on it and share your thoughts.

This is the issue. I think I have a pretty good idea of right and wrong, appropriate and inappropriate the vast majority of the time. That being said, I wonder sometimes how I can reconcile that knowledge with everday life, without becoming an extremist.

The most obvious example I think is probably the media. I go watch movies that I know before I even purchase the ticket that there's some offensive material in that presentation. Someone has come right out and told me that there is, and yet the alternative is to what? Only watch G movies, and get rid of the tv? That seems to me to be a little over the top...and besides, I need the tv for football season.

No one is going to look at me and say that I shouldn't have watched that movie because the contents were offensive, and therefore I've sinned...okay, most people are not that judgmental. However, since I knew what I was doing, and what I was exposing myself to, and willingly forged on ahead, does that act not actually qualify as a sin?

The point is not isolated to the media, that just seems like the easiest example. Here's another example, I participate in a fantasy football league that has a pot. I pony up my $25 every year to play. Now I'm pretty sure that GBH has classified that as gambling, and has expressly asked members not to gamble. I can't say that I really feel at all bad about putting my money in and playing, but technically I know that a living prophet has specifically stated that I shouldn't be doing that. I would assume that no one here is going to think less of me for playing, but at the same time, should I bow out of my league because in actuality I know better, and I'm willfully ignoring prophetic counsel? Again, that seems really extreme to me, I'm not an addict, it's the only form of gambling I participate in.

In essence, do we not inventory our lives and say to ourselves that "these are the things that tempt me or that I've actually done that I will repent of and/or stay away from, because I'm not okay with those sins. However, these sins over here, I realize that they're not in line with instruction I've received, but I feel like I can still get away with them without it impacting my church membership, family relationships, and/or friendships They're minor enough that I won't feel bad, and I will still classify as a 'good member' without seeming so over the top that I become that person that seems to have actually taken their religion so far that they're a little out of touch with reality." Are the second set of sins actually acceptable, and there's an expectation that we'll go throughout life hanging on to some of those without any serious negative repercussions in the end, or are we being asked to do whatever it takes, no matter how extreme it may seem to eliminate those offenses from our lives as well? Does this really make any sense?

I had a dream about 3 years ago, that I'm unwilling to post about on a public forum that made me take all of this into consideration. I don't know, I'd share...but you never know who all those guests are that are reading this, and so it makes me a bit uneasy. I hope I articulated the question well enough that you get the idea without the background, if you feel you need some clarification please feel free to boardmail.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote