cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can Cam keep Beck on the sidelines the entir eyear?

Naming Lemon as starter after the bye week, when it would have been so easy to plug in Beck: what is the reasoning?

Here's one idea. That if he holds Beck for next year, it gives the fans some hope. However if Beck doesn't do particularly well right now, there is no hope.

So keeping Beck out in some respects might be Cam playing the fans for next year.

But at a certain point, fan clamor can be so damaging, that he can't play the game and keep Beck out.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

This is from Markell Staffieri who married John Becks sister, he said that he doesnt think John will play at all this year, because Cam Cameron feels like he is in a lose-lose situation. 98% of rookie qbs struggle, he expects much of the same out of John Beck, yes he feels like John is the qb of the future, but he feels like they are a bad team right now and that he would just be throwing john to the wolves with not much of a chance to succeed. With Miami guaranteed a top 3 pick, if John struggles like they expect, next year Cam will be under fire again to draft another qb which he doesnt want to do. But after the heat he has taken for the Ted Ginn pick, teh pressure of the fans and the front office might get to him.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I think he would be a tad foolish to not play Beck at least a little bit to end the year.

My reasoning is this: Miami could very well end up with the #1 overall pick and well they've gotta justify taking John Beck that high early in the 2nd round and play him,,,,even if it's just a couple of games to see if taking Brian Brohm or Matt Ryan next year is what they really want to do or if they see enough from Beck to go another route.

Even if they do see enough from Beck, I don't know how you pass on Matt Ryan if you have the #1 pick. I think the guy is going to be a great pro.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I think he would be a tad foolish to not play Beck at least a little bit to end the year.

My reasoning is this: Miami could very well end up with the #1 overall pick and well they've gotta justify taking John Beck that high early in the 2nd round and play him,,,,even if it's just a couple of games to see if taking Brian Brohm or Matt Ryan next year is what they really want to do or if they see enough from Beck to go another route.

Even if they do see enough from Beck, I don't know how you pass on Matt Ryan if you have the #1 pick. I think the guy is going to be a great pro.
I've only seen Ryan play for a few minutes.

He doesn't seem to have much mobility. Also, does he have the arm strength? I wouldn't take a poor man's Peyton Manning in the top 3.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've only seen Ryan play for a few minutes.

He doesn't seem to have much mobility. Also, does he have the arm strength? I wouldn't take a poor man's Peyton Manning in the top 3.
He has plenty of arm strength, but mobility could be a question at the next level.