cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Minor 7th

This is an odd question, but maybe Creekster or someone else can help me think of a song that can be associated with a minor 7th interval. For example, from D up to C. The only one Mike and I can think of is "There's a Place for Us" from West Side Story.

I'm trying to help a student study for the state theory test. She always rocks the written part, but struggles with the ear training and dictation. The minor 7th is the only interval we don't have a tune to associate with, and she doesn't know the one from West Side Story.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
This is an odd question, but maybe Creekster or someone else can help me think of a song that can be associated with a minor 7th interval. For example, from D up to C. The only one Mike and I can think of is "There's a Place for Us" from West Side Story.

I'm trying to help a student study for the state theory test. She always rocks the written part, but struggles with the ear training and dictation. The minor 7th is the only interval we don't have a tune to associate with, and she doesn't know the one from West Side Story.
Thanks - now I will be singing There's a place... the rest of the day. I think of a minor 7th as commonly being the interval from C to Bb and for the life of me I cannot think of another popular song that uses that interval. Somewhere Over the Rainbow is an octave so that doesn't work. I will keep trying...
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a tough one. I can think of a few bass lines that prominently use the interval, but these are from old guy groups. A random thought is the second run on Bach's 4th prelude in d minor is a 7th (c to Bb) but that is sort of obscure and I have no idea why I thought of it. I'll try to come up with some other ones.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
creekster

Here's another one that popped into myt head: Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring has a seventh interval about two measures before the first break from the melody. If you need me to locate it more precisely I can later when at home, but if you hum the melody to yourself you'll hear it when it goes by.

Are you looking for something more contemporary? I assumed if it was a classical musci student you might want something classical. WHat did you have in mind?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
FarrahWaters

I can hear where the minor 7th is in Jeus Joy of Man's Desiring, but I'm not sure if that will help her or not, I'll try it with her and see. She is a classical student, but it's preferable if the interval is from the beginning of a well-known tune. For example, for a perfect fourth, we have the first two notes of the Wedding March (or Eine Kleine Nacht Musik if it's a descending 4th). For the test, they will play a series of intervals which she will have to name and she has to dictate a 16 bar melody. She's a great student, this is her only weakness.

btw, it can also be a descending minor 7th. Thanks to you and Requium for trying to help!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Here's another one that popped into myt head: Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring has a seventh interval about two measures before the first break from the melody. If you need me to locate it more precisely I can later when at home, but if you hum the melody to yourself you'll hear it when it goes by.

Are you looking for something more contemporary? I assumed if it was a classical musci student you might want something classical. WHat did you have in mind?
You guys are brilliant. I bow to your wealth of knowledge. Wow.

Would "Maman les petits bateaux" be an ascending minor Seventh interval?

Last edited by Archaea; 10-09-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I can hear where the minor 7th is in Jeus Joy of Man's Desiring, but I'm not sure if that will help her or not, I'll try it with her and see. She is a classical student, but it's preferable if the interval is from the beginning of a well-known tune. For example, for a perfect fourth, we have the first two notes of the Wedding March (or Eine Kleine Nacht Musik if it's a descending 4th). For the test, they will play a series of intervals which she will have to name and she has to dictate a 16 bar melody. She's a great student, this is her only weakness.

btw, it can also be a descending minor 7th. Thanks to you and Requium for trying to help!
If this isn't time sensitive I iwll poke around at home tonight. If I play the interval on the piano or guitar it is more likely to bring up a memory of something more useful. No gurantees, however.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
FarrahWaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
If this isn't time sensitive I iwll poke around at home tonight. If I play the interval on the piano or guitar it is more likely to bring up a memory of something more useful. No gurantees, however.
You are too kind. It's not time sensitive. Don't lose any sleep over it
Old 10-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked my Mom this question and she gave me a few examples, though I don't know if it will help:

Irving Berlin's "Lady of the Evening"

"The Heather on the Hill" from Brigadoon.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
creekster

I didn't come up with much. For me the interval was tainted by the west side story soing. I kept hearing it over and over. I asked my son, who has a very good ear, and he said that he just listens to how it wants to resolve to the fourth (this means to the chord at the fourth tone in the subject scale, but you would typically see the seventh in the fifth resolving to the dominant; example of what my son meant would be if you have a seventh interval of C-Bb, it wants to resolve to the F).

As for songs, the best I could come up with is the second interval in Born to Run. The song is in E. the riff starts on E, then goes to B and then A. The chord there is a sustained 4th, but if you hum the line, the B to A interval is a minor seventh.

I hope this makes some sense. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I think Il Pad's mom porbably gave you the most likely to help songs. The other thing my son said was that it was helpful to hear it a few hundred times in training. Good luck. iF I am hit wiht any other inspirations I will let you know.