cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Guarders, help me out

So for some insane reason, I entered Lotojaclassic as a cat 4, which means some of the guys will go hard. I'm trying to figure out how many attacks to train for.

As you probably know in a traditiional low level recreational race, you can expect about three hard attacks over a fifty mile course. And most of these attacks last about twelve to fifteen minutes each. Do you expect I should train for four times that many? In reality, I will mike the peloton as long as possible and then dilly dally to the end, suffering all the way. However, it's always nice to have a plan.

I also figured out what August will look like four days at forty miles, two days at sixty miles and one day at 120 to 150 miles. In addition I will swim and run. I'm tired just thinking about it.

How would you set up a training program for a 206 mile single day race. Right now, I tend to die at about mile 80, but recently started recovering at mile 105. I will come into ULCER very tired, but that's how I have it planned.

Ideas?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So for some insane reason, I entered Lotojaclassic as a cat 4, which means some of the guys will go hard. I'm trying to figure out how many attacks to train for.

As you probably know in a traditiional low level recreational race, you can expect about three hard attacks over a fifty mile course. And most of these attacks last about twelve to fifteen minutes each. Do you expect I should train for four times that many? In reality, I will mike the peloton as long as possible and then dilly dally to the end, suffering all the way. However, it's always nice to have a plan.

I also figured out what August will look like four days at forty miles, two days at sixty miles and one day at 120 to 150 miles. In addition I will swim and run. I'm tired just thinking about it.

How would you set up a training program for a 206 mile single day race. Right now, I tend to die at about mile 80, but recently started recovering at mile 105. I will come into ULCER very tired, but that's how I have it planned.

Ideas?
I don't think their are any real attacks during this race. From what I've heard the better riders just ride away from the others on the climbs. Also they tell me riding with the cat 4's is easier then in the citizens group because they are better organized and work better together. Since you climb like Marco Pantani I don't think you will have any problems.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I don't think their are any real attacks during this race. From what I've heard the better riders just ride away from the others on the climbs. Also they tell me riding with the cat 4's is easier then in the citizens group because they are better organized and work better together. Since you climb like Marco Pantani I don't think you will have any problems.
I climb like an out of shape Leipheimer, no acceleration, just slow and steady.

Ask Piney, he knows how slow I am.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

do you mostly stand or sit , or both when you climb?

I can't stand. I slow down bigtime when I stand.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
do you mostly stand or sit , or both when you climb?

I can't stand. I slow down bigtime when I stand.
My natural inclination is to stand, but that takes excess energy, so I work hard on seated climbs. It generates more power over time and can be more efficient.

I am not a good climber. My riding buddy Sam is. He climbed away from me Saturday though I have climbed away from him. Actually I haven't discovered anything in cycling I'm good at, except maybe time trialing. I just like cycling even though I'm not naturally good at it. I can't sprint, I can't climb, I'm okay on flats and rollers, and do okay in TTs, but geeze I would love to learn to climb. I go on hills and mountains constantly but my speed is not increasing.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think it's like Lance said in the TdF broadcast, "you are born a certain kind of cyclist."

I tend to not have a ton of endurance, in general. But I can generate speed in bursts when I recover. I'm also high cadence. When I'm doing more than a relaxed tempo, I'm usually at 100rpm.

I would love to climb a mountain just to see what it's like. I'd probably crumble after half a mile.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I would be the lead out person. 1 km to go I would be in front of the peloton driving hard trying to get my guy ready for the sprint. I would only be able to help him the first week because the second week when the mountains started I would miss the cut off time and get sent home.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think it's like Lance said in the TdF broadcast, "you are born a certain kind of cyclist."

I tend to not have a ton of endurance, in general. But I can generate speed in bursts when I recover. I'm also high cadence. When I'm doing more than a relaxed tempo, I'm usually at 100rpm.

I would love to climb a mountain just to see what it's like. I'd probably crumble after half a mile.
Mountain climbing is great unless somebody speeds past you.

We have Mt. Charleston, a seventeen mile ascent, and then we go to Brianhead for a thirteen mile ascent. We also have a couple of nine mile ascents.

The best though is Hale akala on Maui, about a 36 mile ascent that I did on my tri bike.

Some are born not to be cyclists. That is where I fall. I love the sport, I'm just not talented. No speed, a little endurance but no fear. I'm a decent descender.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

after a night's sleep I'm thinking about getting teh SRAM force bike.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #10
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Why don't non-professional bikers use the testosterone patch that Landis used. I'd slap one of those on my testes in a heartbeat if I was on Arch's training regime.

Why not--you aren't being tested and it isn't some long term steroid use harm issue.
Can somebody get a box of them for next weekend, cause I have a feeling I am going to need something to get me through the second 50.

I can't even imagine signing up for something over 200, yikes.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote