cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 05:58 AM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It'll be interesting to see if this MLS ploy works

It's been obvious from the get go that this Beckham to MLS thing will be covered more by E! and Entertainment Tonight than the usual sports outlets. The questions I have are A) can they draw people to the TV sets by cutting to shots of Katie Holmes and Eva Longoria in the luxury boxes every 4 seconds? and B) if they can actually draw people this way, won't they all be women or gay? Is there a worse demographic than that for building a sports league? Seriously, I know that other leagues cut to a celebrity in the crowd to some extent. The NBA likes to cut to shots of Jack, Spike etc... but tonight's coverage was embarrassing to a normal sports fan. I just don't think you get the fans you need to get with this plan.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

If the MLS wants to be taken seriously, it needs to focus on what's happening on the field, not what celebrities are in the stands. That's one of the reasons I am no longer a fan of the NBA. I don't care who is in the stands. I only want to see the sport being played.

Also, Beckham is past his prime. He's still really good, but he's not the Beckham who became famous when he was playing in England. The MLS only got him because he's no longer the best in the world. It's too tough for a sport to really be taken seriously here in the US when the best players in the world are not here. We have them in the NFL, the NBA and MLB, but not in soccer.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

best football players in the word play for the NFL?

LOLOLOL. What all the the international players from Canada?

I don't know what to think when to comes to basketball. I know that the American international teams have gotten their asses handed to them. Now the NBA has a lot of international players, but I dont know that they are the ones doing it.

I say that USA should not pay attention to soccer. Just football. That way we can pat ourselves on the back as being the best. At a sport where a lifelong head injury is par for the course.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The ESPN coverage was embarrassing. And the game was boring. The Galaxy are nowhere near the skill level as Chelsea. All this media coverage and interest, only to watch a dull game.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:22 AM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
The ESPN coverage was embarrassing. And the game was boring. The Galaxy are nowhere near the skill level as Chelsea. All this media coverage and interest, only to watch a dull game.
Soccer? Or this particular soccer game?