cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default Die Hard

Before Jack Bauer, there was another one-man take down machine, who went by the name of John McClain.

McClain and Bauer have a lot of similarities, mostly that they're a little bit crazy, they're not afraid to get their hands dirty and they're willing to do what it takes to get the job done.

I watched Die Hard for the first time in quite some time last night, and I gotta say, John McClain sure opened up a can on those terrorists who took Nakatagi Plaza.

Yes, there were some chessy one-liners, but McClain was able to pull them off. If JacK Bauer and John McClain met in a dark alley, I can honestly say that I don't know who would come out alive. They would both beat the living piss out of Chuck Norris though.

(And on a side note, has anybody seen Die Hard 2 and 3? I'm wondering how they compare to the original, as the first one is the only one that I've seen. Thanks!)
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
Before Jack Bauer, there was another one-man take down machine, who went by the name of John McClain.

McClain and Bauer have a lot of similarities, mostly that they're a little bit crazy, they're not afraid to get their hands dirty and they're willing to do what it takes to get the job done.

I watched Die Hard for the first time in quite some time last night, and I gotta say, John McClain sure opened up a can on those terrorists who took Nakatagi Plaza.

Yes, there were some chessy one-liners, but McClain was able to pull them off. If JacK Bauer and John McClain met in a dark alley, I can honestly say that I don't know who would come out alive. They would both beat the living piss out of Chuck Norris though.

(And on a side note, has anybody seen Die Hard 2 and 3? I'm wondering how they compare to the original, as the first one is the only one that I've seen. Thanks!)

Die Hard 2 and 3 were ok. 2 was better than 3, IMO, but neither were as fun as the first. Both are worth seeing, so you could have yourself a Die Hard weekend and watch all three and it wouldn't be a waste of time.

Sure, McClain and Bauer are impressive he-man specimans who wreak havoc for the bad guys - throw James Bond in there as well - but nobody, and I do mean nobody, could ever take out Inspector Jacques Cleuseau. That dude is the standard by which nothing or nobody can be compared.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 07-09-2006 at 10:34 PM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Die Hard is a great show.

The dude ties a fire hose around his waist and jumps off the roof of a sky-scraper. Genius!

Die Hard 2 was good as well, some great stunts in that one too.

I say Jack Bauer beats John McClain in a fight tho.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

yippe ki-yay mother fetcher
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
yippe ki-yay mother fetcher
By far my favorite line in the movie.

That, and when the dispatchers are giving him crap for using the emergency channel, he gives up this classic:

"What the fetch do ya think I'm trying to do lady, order a pizza?"

McClain is probably a little bit crazier and unstable than Bauer. In the end of Die Hard when his wife beater is just drenched with sweat and blood, and his feet are cut up from the glass and he's coming back to save his wife, he seriously looks like a guy worn out who is on the verge of being committed to the mental institution. Bauer has had his moments, but I don't think any are as great/crazy as that one.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

die hard 2 >> die hard 3
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
Venkman

Quote:
By far my favorite line in the movie.

That, and when the dispatchers are giving him crap for using the emergency channel, he gives up this classic:

"What the fetch do ya think I'm trying to do lady, order a pizza?"

McClain is probably a little bit crazier and unstable than Bauer. In the end of Die Hard when his wife beater is just drenched with sweat and blood, and his feet are cut up from the glass and he's coming back to save his wife, he seriously looks like a guy worn out who is on the verge of being committed to the mental institution. Bauer has had his moments, but I don't think any are as great/crazy as that one.
Yeah, I agree. Unlike Bauer, McClain seems like he's in over his head most of the time. Just a regular guy put in impossible situations who seems to rise to the occasion. Great character.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:48 AM   #8
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
I say Jack Bauer beats John McClain in a fight tho.
Probably, but maybe not. Bauer is a much better trained fighter while McClain is a "throw a few haymakers and hope you land a couple" type fighter. McClain is freakin tough though.

Plus, isn't Jack Bauer only 5'6" or so - he hasn't had to fight a big guy like McClain.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

I have the trilogy on DVD and love all of them. Great fun.

Die Hard 4.0 is in pre-production right now.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:54 AM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Although I'm a "die hard" fan of 24, I must admit: John McClaine saved his wife, while Jack Bauer did not.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote