cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default I may adopt in the future

The lady I'm dating has 2 children that she's essentially raised on her own.

A 8 year old girl and a 7 year old boy.

Her ex-husband is hardly involved in eithers life. It was only recently over the past couple of months that he's started taking them for a day on the weekends. He's a deadbeat Dad and never pays child support. My girlfriend doesn't want to go after him to get those payments back for a couple of different reasons that I don't agree with, but yet, I don't tell her that cause they aren't my kids and she's done an awesome job of raising them.

Now granted this isn't the same scenario that Mike is setting up, but it does go to the core of his poll that he put up. She didn't have them out of wedlock, but she has essentially raised them fatherless.

It hasn't been broached yet, but I'm almost certain when or if the time comes and we get married that the topic of legally adopting them so that I'm their legal father will arise. I will be happy to do so if she wishes it and we're agreed on it that it's best for the kids. She's extremely sensitive about these kinds of things, so I make it a point to not step on her toes because of how good she is to her children.

I think adoption is a wonderful thing.

One of my sisters had a child out of wedlock when she was in her early 20's. She met with a couple from Hawaii who'd been looking to adopt through LDS Social Services and she gave the little girl up for adoption.

A few years ago the young girl, now 15 years old was back in Utah with her adoptive parents and met with my sister and My sister was absolutely thrilled at the life this girl had been given because of the services that were there for them.

My sister was never told she HAD to give the baby up for adoption. She was told to prayerfully consider what she wanted to do and that she would be supported regardless.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 11-13-2007 at 09:12 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds good Rocky. And what was told to your sister is correct IMO. Prayerfully consider and we will support you either way.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Sounds good Rocky. And what was told to your sister is correct IMO. Prayerfully consider and we will support you either way.
I do think there are those in the church who say that if you don't give it up for adoption that you're being disobedient...but those are the extremists, but I also think you're trying very hard to point out that said extremeism regarding this topic with members in the church is the norm...and that is something that I just don't think is true.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I do think there are those in the church who say that if you don't give it up for adoption that you're being disobedient...but those are the extremists, but I also think you're trying very hard to point out that said extremeism regarding this topic with members in the church is the norm...and that is something that I just don't think is true.
I don't know if it is the norm or not, but I do know what was said over the pulpit in my stake.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Back when Ol goat was unable to knock down the 50 meter target, Mrs. Goat and I began the LDS Social Services route. I would never advise that route. It almost seems to me that the program bends over backwards to accomodate the biological mother too much in order to incent more adoptions. I would not be comfortable with the bio family knowing where I live and details like that. Perhaps this is my unique situation, but I would worry about some psycho bio Grandma who knows showing up and wanting to attend a baptism or something like that. It would be too easy to identify the adopted kid in Rockland, Idaho who is turning 8.

If I were to adopt I would go get one from East Europe or China or something like that.

One sacrament meeting they had a couple who adopted come and speak with some of the local LDSSS folks. The adoptive mother went into some teary-eyed rant about knowing the bio mom in the pre-existance and making a pact there. It made me shake my head. I could imagine that conversation..."Hey my hubbies little swimmer won't be able to make it upstream when I get down there and "the circle of my love" won't be complete. So could you go an put your ankles in the air to gechyerself knocked up at 15 and when that "young one growing strong with glory trailing from his/her feet as he comes" arrives send him/her on over our way. So what you could potentially ruin your life and suffer who knows how many long term emotional issues as a result of this event and your inclusion in a guilt ridden sub-culture. But what the hell, I will cry about it in every ward in the American Falls, Idaho stake so it will all be good."

The interesting part was the adoptive father had an older sister who had a baby in her teenage years and in the end could not give it up for adoption as the potential adoptive parents waited in the next room. I enjoyed his talk as he contrasted his emotions and perspective when he held his adopted child with those of the disapointment the potential adoptive parents of his nephew must have felt.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's not disobediant to ignore good advice, but it is stupid.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't know if it is the norm or not, but I do know what was said over the pulpit in my stake.
Your stake is NOT the norm. You must live in the Mullah evangelical Dallas area.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
It's not disobediant to ignore good advice, but it is stupid.
Maybe it's not always the right kind of advice for that particular situation.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #9
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe it's not always the right kind of advice for that particular situation.
Maybe I'm gonna poop diamonds and retire.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
Maybe I'm gonna poop diamonds and retire.
From all those years of shoving coal up your ass they'll probably be ripe by then.