cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default SoCal Observations

We are enjoying a week in SD. A few observations:

Went jogging this morning on the beach. I can't believe how much more oxygen is in the air here. You don't get winded. The only thing holding you back is tired muscles. Amazing.

When driving on a four lane highway, people in California cruise in the left lane and pass on the right. Strange.

The traffic almost always sucks.

We went to church yesterday with some friends. The HP group lesson was on integrity. They spent most of the hour discussing Barry Bonds as a counter-example of integrity. It was quite reaffirming for me.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 AM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

When driving on a four lane highway, people in California cruise in the left lane and pass on the right. Strange.
I've seen that in Utah more than I have in CA.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

This is our hot season, when we average highs of 78. You may want to make another journey in December when it dips down to 71!
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:21 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
This is our hot season, when we average highs of 78. You may want to make another journey in December when it dips down to 71!
The weather is fabulous. As is the water temperature. I remember the water being colder.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I've seen that in Utah more than I have in CA.
Well, that's the conventional wisdom. But I assure you it is worse here. Especially in Eastern California. But perhaps those are all Utah drivers. Or Mexicans. I will pay closer attention.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Another interesting sight:

On Sunday night we were driving from LA to SD on I-5 southbound. It was dark and the traffic was humming along at a typical SoCal speed (80+ mph). I noticed all of the cars in the rightmost lane were showing brakelights and slowing down. As I passed the line of cars I saw what the problem was. There were two Mexicans on a little scooter going about 45 mph.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
The weather is fabulous. As is the water temperature. I remember the water being colder.
I heard something on the news about SD experiencing warmer than normal water temps right now. The water is typically not real warm, as there is a colder current that flows by SD. The water is usually warmer in LA than SD.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing I noticed in SoCal was the complete lack of CHP. Here in Northern California speed traps are abundant and in a 2 hour freeway trip to the Oregon border I'll see at a minimum 3 or 4 CHP on the way up. When I was in LA last year I didn't see one officer in traffic at any time.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:

We only pass on the right, because of the various morons that cruise in the left. I think they are too lazy to stay right, and to have to pass someone on the left from time to time, so instead they just go to the left lane, where they know they will never have to pass anyone. Drives me freaking insane. My favorite are the idiots driving in the left lane at 12am at 65mph, even though there is hardly anyone else on the freeway!
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
We only pass on the right, because of the various morons that cruise in the left. I think they are too lazy to stay right, and to have to pass someone on the left from time to time, so instead they just go to the left lane, where they know they will never have to pass anyone. Drives me freaking insane. My favorite are the idiots driving in the left lane at 12am at 65mph, even though there is hardly anyone else on the freeway!
Amen!
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote