cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 06:06 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default What are the odds of an independent running for president?

If an independent is going to win, this could be the year. This is the last chance for McCain to ever be president, and it is the only chance Giuliani will ever have. Hillary is likely done after this shot too. Obama and Romney could have a future race if they don't win this one.

So what happens if any of the above lose the nomination? Giulani and McCain in particular would be extremely attractive 3rd party candidates. Neither of them are really all aboard the Republican agenda anyways. McCain is rumored to have even contemplated a slot as VP on the Democratic ticket in 2004. Would Hillary get in as an independent? I think it unlikely with her, simply because it would destroy all of the good will her family has accumulated with the Democratic party over the past 15 years or so.

What happens to the race if Giuliani or McCain get in? I think most likely it means the Dem wins, but not necessarily. Either of those two would do MUCH better in a general election than they would do in their party primaries. They would be very dangerous to any candidate running at that point.

In fact, if it is Hillary v. Romney (though I think it will be Obama v. Romney), I actually think Giuliani or McCain could possibly pull it off (Giuliani being more likely than McCain, IMO).

Thoughts?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:41 AM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
If an independent is going to win, this could be the year. This is the last chance for McCain to ever be president, and it is the only chance Giuliani will ever have. Hillary is likely done after this shot too. Obama and Romney could have a future race if they don't win this one.

So what happens if any of the above lose the nomination? Giulani and McCain in particular would be extremely attractive 3rd party candidates. Neither of them are really all aboard the Republican agenda anyways. McCain is rumored to have even contemplated a slot as VP on the Democratic ticket in 2004. Would Hillary get in as an independent? I think it unlikely with her, simply because it would destroy all of the good will her family has accumulated with the Democratic party over the past 15 years or so.

What happens to the race if Giuliani or McCain get in? I think most likely it means the Dem wins, but not necessarily. Either of those two would do MUCH better in a general election than they would do in their party primaries. They would be very dangerous to any candidate running at that point.

In fact, if it is Hillary v. Romney (though I think it will be Obama v. Romney), I actually think Giuliani or McCain could possibly pull it off (Giuliani being more likely than McCain, IMO).

Thoughts?
An independent running? Certain. Having any impact? Nah.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
If an independent runs, they are almost guaranteed to have an impact. Even Ralph Nader arguably cost the Democrats the White House in 2000, and nobody took his campaign seriously.

If either Giuliani or McCain gets in the race as an independent (and I don't know what would constrain them), the race would be turned upside down and all bets are off.
Agreed that an independent does have an impact. Ross Perot cost Bush the Elder a 2nd term.

I think Mrs. Clinton would find herself in the White House again for her third term if any of the Dems or Repubs ran as an independent.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I am pretty certain we will see an Independent candidate, but I will be surprised if it's Rudy. I could see Bloomberg, Hagel, or McCain running as an I. In that order.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I am pretty certain we will see an Independent candidate, but I will be surprised if it's Rudy. I could see Bloomberg, Hagel, or McCain running as an I. In that order.
Rudy won't be running as an independent because he'll be the GOP nom, for better or worse.

An independent will sway the election for the Dems, but would have no chance of winning. The parties are too entrenched with too much money and power. I'd be surprised if an Ind could pull more than 10-15% of the popular vote. Perot had 18% and Nader had <3%.

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 05-15-2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/natio...3142-3314r.htm
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt Rudy will get the nomination.

I won't vote for him. I'll vote for Obama before I vote for Rudy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
If he's willing to spend $1B, the guy wants to be President a little too badly for my liking. And he'll only guarantee that Mrs. Clinton will get elected. Somebody needs to talk some sense into the guy and help him understand that it's a lot like team racing. If you can't do it yourself, ensure that one of your teammates win.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I doubt Rudy will get the nomination.

I won't vote for him. I'll vote for Obama before I vote for Rudy.
He's very smart. This week he's taken a huge step toward separating himself from the Bush-esque "compassionate conservatives." That leaves Romney appearing to represent the religious right. I don't think the GOPs want to go that route. The party desperately needs to put some distance between themselves and Bush, and Giuliani is giving them the opportunity to do so.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Rudy won't be running as an independent because he'll be the GOP nom, for better or worse.

An independent will sway the election for the Dems, but would have no chance of winning. The parties are too entrenched with too much money and power. I'd be surprised if an Ind could pull more than 10-15% of the popular vote. Perot had 8% and Nader had <3%.
But recall that Perot was winning until he dropped out of the race inexplicably. By the time he re-entered, it was too late.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote