cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road
Default How many LDS members in here

will get out of the church when in 10 years from now as so many of you predict that Gay marriage will be instated in the USA and the LDS Church comes out and says that it will not tolerate the members sustaining it?

What if this is the one issue where the Church makes a stand and is steadfast about sifting the wheat from the Chaffe, is this where you relinquish membership as the final straw that broke the proverbial camels back?
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
will get out of the church when in 10 years from now as so many of you predict that Gay marriage will be instated in the USA and the LDS Church comes out and says that it will not tolerate the members sustaining it?

What if this is the one issue where the Church makes a stand and is steadfast about sifting the wheat from the Chaffe, is this where you relinquish membership as the final straw that broke the proverbial camels back?
Just because Gay marriage is allowed in the US doesn't mean it will be a stay in or stay out of the church issue. Did you know the US allows people to cohabitate without being married. The church has still maintained there stand haven't they.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Personally, I'd be more concerned if, in the event that gay marriage is made lawful in the US, the Church began allowing homosexuals who are married (in Same Sex marriages, obviously) to have temple recommends.

In that light, I'm less concerned about the event of legalized gay marriage...if non-lds individuals want to be married, it's not concerning to me. If two active LDS men decide to get married, and have relations, I don't think they should be sitting next to me in the endowment session.

BTW, in the event that they WERE allowed in the session....who decides which of them sits on the left side of the room?
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Personally, I'd be more concerned if, in the event that gay marriage is made lawful in the US, the Church began allowing homosexuals who are married (in Same Sex marriages, obviously) to have temple recommends.

In that light, I'm less concerned about the event of legalized gay marriage...if non-lds individuals want to be married, it's not concerning to me. If two active LDS men decide to get married, and have relations, I don't think they should be sitting next to me in the endowment session.

BTW, in the event that they WERE allowed in the session....who decides which of them sits on the left side of the room?
Good point. My relationship with the church has nothing to do with what gets passed as far as the law of the land. At least on this point. A lot of things in this land are legal that aren't "legal" for mormons to participate in.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

That won't happen. Look at abortion. There is nothing wrong with advocating that abortion should be legal, as far as the church is concerned. There is something wrong with helping someone get an abortion or getting one on your own, as far as the church is concerned.

The Danzig's situation blurred the line a bit, but I expect the church to follow the same reasoning it has followed with the abortion debate.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
That won't happen. Look at abortion. There is nothing wrong with advocating that abortion should be legal, as far as the church is concerned. There is something wrong with helping someone get an abortion or getting one on your own, as far as the church is concerned.

The Danzig's situation blurred the line a bit, but I expect the church to follow the same reasoning it has followed with the abortion debate.
I agree. Why would The Church go there?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When Gay marriage does become legal, and the Church does no such thing, what will you do?

As for me, I'm not that worried, for various reasons. As Cali talked about, no one outside of Cougarboard is talking about excommunicating members of congress who vote for abortion rights.

Also, I think there are probably a lot more than 'us' than you realize. I think a lot of people think that if you gathered up all the Mormons who support Gay marriage, there would be about 200 of them, and they go to church on average once a quarter. I have no idea how many there are in total, but I'm pretty confident that it reaches well into the 6 figures just in the US, not to mention Europe. I don't think the Church will feel that excommunicating half a million people over Gay marriage is a wise thing to do.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I am against gay marriages for reasons that are economic - higher taxes and imagine any retroactive Social Security benefits that could be demanded - but I fail to understand the reason this question was asked.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Personally, I am against gay marriages for reasons that are economic - higher taxes and imagine any retroactive Social Security benefits that could be demanded - but I fail to understand the reason this question was asked.
T Blue is trying to do some pre-sifting.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
T Blue is trying to do some pre-sifting.
Got it.

Perhaps he wants to make sure he knows which is the most popular answer so he can be a bandwagoner.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote