cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What perspective the prophets?

As we read the Tanakh, we see bright declarations of calamity predicted and apparently correctly foretold. Perhaps this is the result of scribal synthesis rather the actually telling which allowed the "prophetic" warnings, i.e., the concepts affecting Deutero and Trito Isaiah.

Today, our leaders go out of their way to disavow any predictive declarations, the most coming to mind were the words of GBH, "I am not prediciting ..."

Why the change in "prophetic" language?

Is it simply a change in proximity to the actual events as opposed to a favorable revisionistic approach of the United Kingdom era scribes as opposed to the cautious, corporate approach of modern organizations?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
WJCougar

WJCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maybe because people are not ready.

It seems the prophets and leaders of the church are all about warning the members of the church about the evils of the world, but not saying "or else" I just see in my own ward that people get offended way too easily when they are told they are doing something wrong. Maybe the prophet's approach these days is to only preach to those that are ready and understand the consequences rather than warning a bunch of people who really can't handle the truth.
WJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote