cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dilemma: Sheltering children or controlled exposure

In the spirit of inoculation, how far does one go in sheltering versus controlling exposure to thoughts and emotions.

I know in some successful LDS households, with a fundy bent, much of our modern world in terms of entertainment is excluded. Films are controlled and television forbidden. Not necessarily a bad thing.

In some households no supervision is had, and that is IMHO not the answer.

OTOH, other households believe in exposing children to thoughts and matters faithfully even if they open up questions.

For example, if children read many of the great epics of humanity, many concepts such as sex will be displayed in a nonMormon format. However, if we can present these things in a semi-controlled but faithful environment, does seem to bring things into a perhaps healthier context?

For example, those familiar with the Sumerian legend of Gilgamesh can read many mature concepts of an ancient civilization.

Extending it to a more modern context, are we saving our children if we forbid them from seeing things like "The Golden Compass"?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
In the spirit of inoculation, how far does one go in sheltering versus controlling exposure to thoughts and emotions.

I know in some successful LDS households, with a fundy bent, much of our modern world in terms of entertainment is excluded. Films are controlled and television forbidden. Not necessarily a bad thing.

OTOH, other households believe in exposing children to thoughts and matters faithfully even if they open up questions.

For example, if children read many of the great epics of humanity, many concepts such as sex will be displayed in a nonMormon format. However, if we can present these things in a semi-controlled but faithful environment, does seem to bring things into a perhaps healthier context?

For example, those familiar with the Sumerian legend of Gilgamesh can read many mature concepts of an ancient civilization.

Extending it to a more modern context, are we saving our children if we forbid them from seeing things like "The Golden Compass"?
I'm not sure which is worse the nonMormon format on sex or the Mormon format on sex.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'm not sure which is worse the nonMormon format on sex or the Mormon format on sex.
Mormon format on sex is worse and less healthy but the other can be extreme as well.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

Like I said, rent Animal House and watch it with your kid. That will address sex in a less anachoronistic way than Gilgamesh. Plus, Mandy Pepperidge is hot.

Unless your kid is planning on roaming the forest cutting down trees and slaying demons on his way to a wedding, Animal House will at least have a context to which he can relate. Plus, Gilgamesh doesnt have a food fight scene.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Archaea

maybe the best approach to sex is to take the frigid Mormon approach and by parental discussion liberalize it. This will counter the excesses in pop culture.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
maybe the best approach to sex is to take the frigid Mormon approach and by parental discussion liberalize it. This will counter the excesses in pop culture.
Naturally this is the best. The sin is upon the parents, not The Church.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Now you are talking. Why use ancient Sumarian poetry for context? It makes as much sense as using American Pie to teach your kids.

Just talk to them openly. 10 bucks says you wont be telling your son much that he doesnt know (by way of mechanics). Your counsel gives him context and perspective. You dont need Gilgamesh for that.

If you are not going to implement my Mandy-ladder scene advice, then consider 2 other scenes that were seminal in every non-LDS boy's childhood:

1. The "Trading Places" Jamie Lee Curtis gets into the bed scene. Barring that scene, I would have NEVER guessed. And I have never looked at her the same since. When she was shilling for T Mobile and kept saying "Get More," I couldnt never focus.
2. The most important scene in pubescent cinematic history......Phoebe Cates in Fast Time in Ridgemont High. This scene needs no explanation, backstory, or introduction.

As a matter of fact, I think I am going to start a CG poll about this very scene.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Naturally this is the best. The sin is upon the parents, not The Church.
It is in the end.

But we have two polar opposites.

We have the do-anything excesses of pop culture, and the frigid, "sex is for offspring" approach of fundies. And because we know most parents won't converse as much as they should, there needs to be ameliorating factors, otherwise Mormon kids have about a snowball's chance in hell of being functional in marriage, because they will not know normal, healthy sexuality.

Mormon guys have a better chance than Mormon gals, who have the worst examples in some of their fundamentalist leaders.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Now you are talking. Why use ancient Sumarian poetry for context? It makes as much sense as using American Pie to teach your kids.
The poetry's purpose is not sexuality, but it's other messages, showing how loss can tenderize and add wisdom, among other things. It is moving from that perspective.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
The poetry's purpose is not sexuality, but it's other messages, showing how loss can tenderize and add wisdom, among other things. It is moving from that perspective.
Aha... loss tenderizing and adding wisdom. Got it.

Lose Gilgamesh and stick to Animal House with your kid if you dont want to shelter him.

He will learn that wanting to look at topless girls is pretty normal, what is a hand job, college kids often have pre-marital sex, and sex with older women can be a turn on.