cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default As the temple recommend renewal date draws nigh....

Seing as how cougarguard.com has become gaychat24/7.com....

Reading that passage from the BYU HC made me wonder......for those that are not supportive of Prop 8 and do not have an issue with homosexuals.....

....does that constitute a sympathy for those groups or individuals whose teaching are contrary to the Church?

How would you answer that question in the TR interview?

I know the BYU HC is not totally representative of Church policy, but much of it is similar. Since the HC decries "advocacy" as an actionable behavior, I wonder what the Church thinks about those who openly state that they do not support Prop 8, Prop 22, Prop 2, or whatever the local state prop may be? And not just with regards to the Prop 8 issue, but to gay rights groups, in general. If you truly have no problem with them and have sympathy for them, seems like that is something that should be discussed in the TR interview, no?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Reading that passage from the BYU HC made me wonder......for those that are not supportive of Prop 8 and do not have an issue with homosexuals.....

....does that constitute a sympathy for those groups or individuals whose teaching are contrary to the Church?

I know the BYU HC is not totally representative of Church policy, but much of it is similar. Since the HC decries "advocacy" as an actionable behavior, I wonder what the Church thinks about those who openly state that they do not support Prop 8, Prop 22, Prop 2, or whatever the local state prop may be? And not just with regards to the Prop 8 issue, but to gay rights groups, in general. If you truly have no problem with them and have sympathy for them, seems like that is something that should be discussed in the TR interview, no?
As I asked non sequitur, isn't the Honor Code more stringent than the LDS Church?

My hair length is the example I gave in the other thread. It didn't prevent me from renewing my recommend, but I would be in trouble with the HC committee with my hair the length it is right now.

As for your question, I believe that the church would consider you sympathetic to gay marriage if you were actively trying to convince people to vote against Prop 8 in California. If you're not doing that, you could answer the question honestly by saying "no, I'm not sympathetic".

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Throw that one on the table when the Bishop asks if you are showing sympathy towards groups with teachings contrary to the Church.

It will be interesting to see just how far your bishop will take the ball and run with it, I'm betting in Cali, that nothing will happen. Do that in Provo and you will be looking at a meeting with the stake pres. and it won't be to see if your recommend is being renewed.

Good luck with that one, let us know if you have the guts to really "out" yourself as you have so eloquently put it.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

if you can't decide whether the issue prevents you from being temple worthy, then by all means discuss with with your bishop, stake president, and....church court.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Throw that one on the table when the Bishop asks if you are showing sympathy towards groups with teachings contrary to the Church.

It will be interesting to see just how far your bishop will take the ball and run with it, I'm betting in Cali, that nothing will happen. Do that in Provo and you will be looking at a meeting with the stake pres. and it won't be to see if your recommend is being renewed.

Good luck with that one, let us know if you have the guts to really "out" yourself as you have so eloquently put it.
funny how supporters of the Republican Party don't consider themselves to be showing sympathy thowards a group with teachings contrary to the church.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
funny how supporters of the Republican Party don't consider themselves to be showing sympathy thowards a group with teachings contrary to the church.
That's because God is a Reagan Republican.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:42 PM   #7
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I guess therein lies the rub, I never mentioned I was a republican party person, actually I had to go neutral because if you voted for a republican in the primary you have to be registered republican, I am not registered republican.

Nice try to fit us all into your nice little box though, waters, now what?
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:55 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
As for your question, I believe that the church would consider you sympathetic to gay marriage if you were actively trying to convince people to vote against Prop 8 in California. If you're not doing that, you could answer the question honestly by saying "no, I'm not sympathetic".
Not sure I agree. I think that question deals with doctrinal issues rather than political ones. Similar to the marriage amendment a while back, opposing (or even campaigning against) Prop 8 would not, in my mind, constitute an automatic violation of that question.

As the question implies, one would have to be involved (or sympathize) with groups and/or precepts that contradict teachings or practices of the church itself. One can certainly cross that line in opposing Prop 8, but it isn't de facto.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #9
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I believe DDD would have no problem discussing his views with his bishop...what does he have to hide? He is just being honest. Why would he want to hide his feelings from his bishop?
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:09 AM   #10
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

You have made it more than clear where you stand on this issue, and, presumeably, where you stand when it comes to obedience to Church leaders.

Which makes your response above all the more puzzling....you seem to be implying that I cannot have an honest discussion of my feelings and concerns because if I "throw it on the table," I will be met with discipline, as opposed to love and counsel.

You also inadvertantly imply that the Church in Provo is more strict/unforgiving and that Bishops in "Cali" may be less likely to act/impose discipline.

As far "outing" myself, you are already late to that party. From what people have posted here on this board (again, do not know what people have done privately), Flystripper and I are the only ones who have actually directly told our Bishops/SPs that we do not support Prop 8. I am sure there are others....again, I am only stating per my recollection. I know PAC and OrangeUte had mentioned something to that effect, but I dont recall whether they expressed it.

I do not consider doing such a badge of honor, btw. I am simply stating that I have no reason to be afraid of my stance on this. I am simply wondering what the group consensus was on the interpretation of that question.

If you fear speaking to your judge in Israel about your spiritual progression, then there is a huge problem. You seem to live in an existence that promotes conformity over honest dialogue. No thanks.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote