cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default How do people get so partisan?

I see people so partisan and so close minded towards the opposite party, it boggles my mind.

My political views and the candidate that I think most represents them:

1. Economic climate that allows for American companies to be most competitive: Romney
2. Fiscally responsible: Clinton (based on the fact that her husband has been most fiscally responsible prez we've had in 30 years)
3. Anti-anti-immigration: probably Obama or Clinton?
4. Anti-war: Obama or Clinton?
5. Favor strong military but only for defense not for warhawking: Romney?
6. Concerned about environment but not to the point I want to cripple busineses for it: probably more Dem than Rep
7. Fix social security using creative measures even if it means some pain: Romney?
8. Better health care for kids and the poor but not a complete overhaul: ?? maybe more Rep than Dem
9. Christian values on abortion and gay marriage: Romney/Huckabee

No one party or candidate capsulizes my view perfectly, so I can't really be that aggressively against anyone. I doubt if my views are that uncommon, so how can people be so aggressive and negative towards anyone?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I notice civil liberties isn't anywhere on your list
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

We vote on issues, but we elect people. No individual person encapsulates all my views perfectly, so I have to vote for the person who is most likely to do what I want. I have to compromise on some things that they might disagree with me on, in favor of getting those I DO agree with. Civics 101, right?

If the Democrat party can produce a pro-marriage, pro-life, pro-growth, pro-national-defense, pro-tax-cut candidate, expect me to give them a hard look. Heck, if I could get 3 out of the 6, I would give them a hard look.

They won't.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know how you can quantify Clinton as fiscally responsible. She's never been in a position to have that quality judged. Romney was successful in a Democratic state.

Ron Paul is the best candidate for civil liberties.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
We vote on issues, but we elect people. No individual person encapsulates all my views perfectly, so I have to vote for the person who is most likely to do what I want. I have to compromise on some things that they might disagree with me on, in favor of getting those I DO agree with. Civics 101, right?

If the Democrat party can produce a pro-marriage, pro-life, pro-growth, pro-national-defense, pro-tax-cut candidate, expect me to give them a hard look. Heck, if I could get 3 out of the 6, I would give them a hard look.

They won't.
Both of the remaining dems fit all 5 of your criteria. Your post is just another example of the results of mindless partisanship.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Both of the remaining dems fit all 5 of your criteria. Your post is just another example of the results of mindless partisanship.
No, both Hillary and Obama believe that tax hikes on incomes above 200K should be imposed. That's not the sort of person I could ever vote for.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #7
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
No, both Hillary and Obama believe that tax hikes on incomes above 200K should be imposed. That's not the sort of person I could ever vote for.
As far as I know, they just plan to let Bush's ludicrous wartime tax cuts for the wealthy expire. That acts as an effective hike, but is the only responsible way to handle it, imo. If a republican gets elected it'll be great to see them try to make good on promised tax cuts while the the nation continues to hemorrhage red ink.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
As far as I know, they just plan to let Bush's ludicrous wartime tax cuts for the wealthy expire. That acts as an effective hike, but is the only responsible way to handle it, imo. If a republican gets elected it'll be great to see them try to make good on promised tax cuts while the the nation continues to hemorrhage red ink.
You may have sophistication in science but not in economics. There can be layered tax cuts and elimination of stupid things like AMT or maintaining capital gains benefits, as well as industry specific tax incentives. The cuts were not unwise, it was the increased expenditures that were.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 PM   #9
woot

Quote:
You may have sophistication in science but not in economics. There can be layered tax cuts and elimination of stupid things like AMT or maintaining capital gains benefits, as well as industry specific tax incentives. The cuts were not unwise, it was the increased expenditures that were.
So did revenue increase over what it would have been without the tax cuts?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #10
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am actually for keeping the current tax rates in effect except, once someone makes $1,000,000 and over we start taxing the hell out of them.

I would especially carve out a special rate for Entertainers, liability lawyers, athletes and corp. CEO's. They would pay the increased rate, plus a 20% surcharge. I have no problem with them being taxed at a cummulative rate of 70% on income over $3,000,000.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote