cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Question Romney for VP?

I really like Romney's politics, but I also kind-of puke at the thought of him attached (as an inferior) to Old man McCain.

http://beehivestandardweekly.com/articles/198/1/
Old 06-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't like Romney's politics, but I think he is a serious candidate for McCain's VP slot.

I think Romney's stock is going up on the VP gig, and not down.

McCain needs his strength on economic issues and his bank account.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

To me, he helps McCain, but whether his negatives are outweighed by his positives, I am uncertain.

He will help give McCain a chance in Nevada, Michigan and even possibly Massachusetts.

Those are three states who could make a big difference. He will help in fundraising and with a economics profile.

Does McCain need a minority candidate more, or a female running mate? I just don't know.

How many VPs can potentially deliver that many states? With Romney I don't think Obama stands a chance in Nevada, without him McCain probably loses Nevada. And Mitt has strong networks in Michigan and Mass.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
To me, he helps McCain, but whether his negatives are outweighed by his positives, I am uncertain.

He will help give McCain a chance in Nevada, Michigan and even possibly Massachusetts.

Those are three states who could make a big difference. He will help in fundraising and with a economics profile.

Does McCain need a minority candidate more, or a female running mate? I just don't know.

How many VPs can potentially deliver that many states? With Romney I don't think Obama stands a chance in Nevada, without him McCain probably loses Nevada. And Mitt has strong networks in Michigan and Mass.
Nevada alone probably isn't important enough, but McCain absolutely can't afford to lose in Michigan. Romney would be a big plus for him in getting Michigan. Romney can also help him solidify several western states like Nevada that were Republican shoo-ins in past elections but where he may be vulnerable now.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Nevada alone probably isn't important enough, but McCain absolutely can't afford to lose in Michigan. Romney would be a big plus for him in getting Michigan. Romney can also help him solidify several western states like Nevada that were Republican shoo-ins in past elections but where he may be vulnerable now.
With Mitt, Utah, Idaho, and perhaps Arizona become complete wastes of time for Obama. Nevada is insignificant generally but with the current map for electoral votes as it is, it is more important this year.

Michigan becomes very important and it would be worth the effort to make Obama sweat Mass.

Does Mitt cause McCain to lose any states? That I don't know.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
With Mitt, Utah, Idaho, and perhaps Arizona become complete wastes of time for Obama. Nevada is insignificant generally but with the current map for electoral votes as it is, it is more important this year.

Michigan becomes very important and it would be worth the effort to make Obama sweat Mass.

Does Mitt cause McCain to lose any states? That I don't know.
No way in hell is Mass even close. Obama won't sweat it regardless of Romney's presence on the ticket.

Utah and Idaho are complete wastes of time already

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
No way in hell is Mass even close. Obama won't sweat it regardless of Romney's presence on the ticket.

I think you underestimate the value of having machinery in place in Mass. My guess is that Mitt could make close, because he has feet on the ground and drying up support for Obama there means he has less to spend elsewhere.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think you underestimate the value of having machinery in place in Mass. My guess is that Mitt could make close, because he has feet on the ground and drying up support for Obama there means he has less to spend elsewhere.
Romney's pick for the senate race couldn't even gather 10,000 signatures to get on the ballot for the party primary. I think you overestimate his pull in the state

The GOP has 19 out of 160 state house seats and 5 out of 40 state senate seats.

The state will go red when Utah goes blue

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default What specifically don't you like about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I don't like Romney's politics, but I think he is a serious candidate for McCain's VP slot.

I think Romney's stock is going up on the VP gig, and not down.

McCain needs his strength on economic issues and his bank account.
Mitt's politics?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post

No kidding. Arch is fooling himself if he thinks Romney can deliver Mass (or even make it marginally competitive). Romney helps in Nevada and maybe in Colorado (doubt it). But he wouldn't be picked to deliver a state. He would be picked to deliver a group- the conservative base- that isn't too happy with McCain right now and needs a reason to vote for him. Romney has built up a lot of credibility with the base (ironically).

I would bet McCain picks either Romney (if he listens to his advisors) or Giuliani (if he doesn't).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote