cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Schizo over polygamy

The FLDS fiasco and Sooner's poll got me to thinking. We haven't really abandoned polygamy as a church. We still practice celestial polygamy (see Elder Nielson's recent sealing) and Section 132 is still in the D&C. It is most definitely part of our heritage. And yet, we never talk about it at church in any official capacity. When is the last time you heard a conference talk on polygamy? In the famous Sixty Minutes interview, GBH avoided the topic like a plague ("It's in the past!"). How about a sacrament talk on polygamy? To my knowledge (maybe I missed something - correct me if I am wrong), it is not discussed in any of the official lesson manuals. It seems to be a taboo topic for discussion.

Ironically, it is the arguably the single issue most identified with our religion by non-LDS. We send our young missionaries out in the field and they are bombarded with questions about polygamy and they have precious little background on the topic.

It's an odd contradiction. Should the church address the issue in a more direct fashion? Or is the current strategy appropriate?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

It's an odd contradiction. Should the church address the issue in a more direct fashion? Or is the current strategy appropriate?
What issue?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #3
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

We don't talk about living the law of consecration as well (but we do get a lot of talks about tithing, service, etc.).

It's not current practice so why dwell on it?
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
What issue?
If you are being sarcastic, bravo.

Otherwise, I am referring to the fact that we still "believe" in polygamy, but we don't practice it at the moment (actually, we partially practice it). So it seems to be a core doctrine in many ways, yet the topic is taboo in official settings. Hence the term "schizo" in the thread title.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbamboo View Post
We don't talk about living the law of consecration as well (but we do get a lot of talks about tithing, service, etc.).

It's not current practice so why dwell on it?
We don't currently practice the Law of Moses either, but we discuss it all the time.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #6
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We don't currently practice the Law of Moses either, but we discuss it all the time.
The law of Moses in context with the higher law.

Not in the sense that "geez, you used to hoist cows over the alter..."

Last edited by splitbamboo; 04-18-2008 at 12:02 AM.
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you are being sarcastic, bravo.

Otherwise, I am referring to the fact that we still "believe" in polygamy, but we don't practice it at the moment (actually, we partially practice it). So it seems to be a core doctrine in many ways, yet the topic is taboo in official settings. Hence the term "schizo" in the thread title.

I was being a smart aleck, but it was very patient of you to respond.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:06 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget talking about it, START THAT BABY UP AGAIN!!!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:11 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

For those older gentlemen, with other children, RC, Creekster and Lebowski, how have you introduced the intricacies of the Gospel to your children.

Let me explain. As you three have read, unlike their dimwitted father, my children have some abilities. So I discuss matters age specific with them.

I even in a cautious manner discuss some of the more prickly issues, and so far it hasn't shaken their faith. For example, all my kids know that Joseph Smith had at least 33 wives, with the littlest saying, "that's a lot of women."

We discuss the NRSV together with the King James version. Surprisingly my 14 year old stated, "I don't know why people find the KJV so hard, it isn't hard, it's just poetry like."

And I told him he's going to read the scriptures in total this year. So one weekend he'll read the BoM and some others the Bible which we'll discuss. So far so good. But how far into history do you go with a fourteen year old?

How does one prepare a future missionary? My daughters never wanted to go, even though we have frank discussion, they do the scripture study at their own pace.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the Church needs to clarify its stance on polygamy. A lot of people are confused about where the Church really stands on the issue. The topic is totally neglected. It's especially confusing for new converts, I think.

Denial of polygamy as a divinely inspired law would diminish Joseph Smith's authority. I'm sure this debate has raged within the Q of the 12.

I'm willing to bet that Pres. Monson does something about the issue within the next 12 months. Polygamy has haunted the Church for far too long. The FLDS case has made it far too obvious that polygamy can often become an abusive, cultish practice. (I do think the Texas CPS have grossly overstepped their boundaries here. But...whether there were child brides or not, there is no doubt that the polygamist wives are mentally + emotionally abused.)

In my opinion, here is what needs to be done if church leaders want a clean break from polygamy as doctrine:

They have to remove or modify D&C 132, and then say they don't understand it. They would have to state that they do not agree with or endorse polygamy on any level. Then allow all men AND women to be sealed for eternity when they remarry after divorce or death of a spouse. Tell people that everything will be sorted out in the hereafter, which is what we already believe.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 04-18-2008 at 12:42 AM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote