cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waters did you see this re:bees?

Loss of commercial hives even greater this year than last; 36%.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/06/d....ap/index.html
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

doesn't surprise me. Half of all beehives in America go to Califonia for the almond crop. That's a toxic situation. It's all about greed, and people bringing new parasites and pests that attack bees into America. Like small hive beetle.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

My Grandpa, who had several hives on his dairy farm, told me that the loss of honeybees would be more devastating to the citizens of this country than accidents at nuclear power plants. (This was after the Three Mile Island situation in '79.)

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
My Grandpa, who had several hives on his dairy farm, told me that the loss of honeybees would be more devastating to the citizens of this country than accidents at nuclear power plants. (This was after the Three Mile Island situation in '79.)
Well, we may be finding out in the next few years if your grandpa knew what he was talking about.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

get a beehive. it's easy and cool.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, this probably is an ignorant question, but is there any way to manipulate the production of queen bees to seed new hives and try to stimulate more reproduction to try to offset the huge mortality rates?

Last edited by Indy Coug; 05-07-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
OK, this probably is an ignorant question, but is there any way to manipulate the production of queen bees to seed new hives and try to stimulate more reproduction to try to offset the huge mortality rates?
bees are super-organisms. One bee by itself cannot reproduce. A queen and a drone cannot reproduce. Only a queen, a drone, and a number of worker bees can reproduce, by creating another queen, drones, and worker bees.

So bee "breeders" use different techniques to increase the number of bee colonies. For example, they can split a hive, and often the split without the queen can create a new queen by feeding a new larvae royal jelly. the queen flies out, mates, comes back and lays her own eggs.

You can manipulate hives to create lots of queens, and sell them. So that's how I can buy a queen from producers. That is shipped with a number of worker bees with her to feed her.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
bees are super-organisms. One bee by itself cannot reproduce. A queen and a drone cannot reproduce. Only a queen, a drone, and a number of worker bees can reproduce, by creating another queen, drones, and worker bees.

So bee "breeders" use different techniques to increase the number of bee colonies. For example, they can split a hive, and often the split without the queen can create a new queen by feeding a new larvae royal jelly. the queen flies out, mates, comes back and lays her own eggs.

You can manipulate hives to create lots of queens, and sell them. So that's how I can buy a queen from producers. That is shipped with a number of worker bees with her to feed her.
Thanks for the info. So do you think they can up the utilization of this technique enough to offset the high bee mortality rate?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Thanks for the info. So do you think they can up the utilization of this technique enough to offset the high bee mortality rate?
they did last year.

the main thing is that the price of bees has and will increase.

the amount that a beekeeper will charge to send his bees out to pollinate has also increased.

So there are financial incentives in place to increase bee production.

But not all people out there can absorb the sticker-shock. It's like gas prices. Some businesses will not make it.

If you haven't seen the movie "Ulee's Gold" I suggest you watch it. And understand that the perils bees face now compared to the time of the movie are much greater.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Well, we may be finding out in the next few years if your grandpa knew what he was talking about.
Agreed, though I'm biased and tend to believe my Grandpa on matters such as this. Dairy farmers have their crap together on stuff like this.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote