cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If BYU keeps missing on the best and the brightest

its performance will continue to decline.

In games where speed is at a premium, basketball and football, its teams are starting to fall off.

Bronco is beginning to see his recruits and his teams are plain slow. TCU and Utah exposed BYU, while Arizona exposed BYU's lack of preparation.

BYU doesn't win Tourney games because overall lack of team speed, and inadequate guards. So the question is, is BYU's fanbase happy being third or fourth best in a second tier conference?

IF the BOT is, then we know our place and should not complain, one might suppose.

Last edited by Archaea; 01-27-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Bronco is beginning to see his recruits and his teams are plain slow.
If there was one impression left with me the last time I watched BYU play, that was it: slow. I didn't notice it so much when I watched them in person in Tulsa, but in the bowl it was a recurring thought throughout the game.

Speed is a hot commodity and in short supply. And these kids know what they're worth. It'll be awfully hard for BYU to compete for the recruits when the football coach is out there giving the impression that football's not a priority.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
If there was one impression left with me the last time I watched BYU play, that was it: slow. I didn't notice it so much when I watched them in person in Tulsa, but in the bowl it was a recurring thought throughout the game.

Speed is a hot commodity and in short supply. And these kids know what they're worth. It'll be awfully hard for BYU to compete for the recruits when the football coach is out there giving the impression that football's not a priority.
If speed were only at OU, Florida or USC I would agree with you, but it's at TCU, Utah, Oregon State, and a bunch of other places. BYU hasn't recruited effectively for speed, so Bronco bears that blame. By now we should have comparable speed to Utah or TCU, but we don't.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
IYU hasn't recruited effectively for speed, so Bronco bears that blame. By now we should have comparable speed to Utah or TCU, but we don't.
KW's approach is to recruit speed and athletic ability, then find a spot on the team for the kids to play. Sean Smith was recruited as a WR and KW moved him to CB. Kruger was recruited as a mobile QB and was moved to DE. Stevenson Sylvester, IIRC, was recruited as a safety and moved to LB, etc.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:24 AM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If speed were only at OU, Florida or USC I would agree with you, but it's at TCU, Utah, Oregon State, and a bunch of other places. BYU hasn't recruited effectively for speed, so Bronco bears that blame. By now we should have comparable speed to Utah or TCU, but we don't.
I think you misunderstood my point. That was PRECISELY my point. That with Utah and TCU being so competitive, you guys can't afford to give the impression that, hey, football's a fourth-place priority here. There are only so many fast guys to go around, and I'm not sure how many of them are interested in buying what Bronco is selling -- certainly not when Utah is selling Sugar Bowl wins.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote