cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 04:35 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default quantum mechanics: what does this mean?

Nature article.

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/11/4/14
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:42 AM   #2
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Man, it's been a long time since I took quantum physics and I certainly don't remember covering that stuff. About the only thing I remember from my quantum class was "The Ultraviolet Catastrophe".
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Bell's inequality is not true? Wow, I guess I'm out of date.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Man, it's been a long time since I took quantum physics and I certainly don't remember covering that stuff. About the only thing I remember from my quantum class was "The Ultraviolet Catastrophe".
The Ultraviolet Catastrophe sounds like a good title for a made-for-tv movie.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
The Ultraviolet Catastrophe sounds like a good title for a made-for-tv movie.
Or an alternative rock band.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
BigFatMeanie

From Memory: the Ultraviolet Catastrophe was when scientists first noticed that electromagnetic waves in the ultraviolet frequency didn't completely adhere to the classic laws of physics - it was basically the birth of quantum physics.

Now, I'll fact check myself with Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_catastrophe

Hmm, the old gray matter may not be as efficient as it used to but Wikipedia has verified that it still works reasonably well. Quantum was interesting right up to point in class where we learned about the ultraviolet catastrophe (the 3rd day of class). When we started talking about how quantum values corresponded to the eigenvalues of linear operators then I mentally checked out. I dropped the class about a week after that. I never was any good at linear algebra - just too abstract for me. Differential equations always seemed easier to me than linear algebra. Go figure.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
From Memory: the Ultraviolet Catastrophe was when scientists first noticed that electromagnetic waves in the ultraviolet frequency didn't completely adhere to the classic laws of physics - it was basically the birth of quantum physics.
In the threadjacking spirit, I'm reminded of the artist Ultra Violet. I knew this woman really well while I was an LDS missionary in southern France. She was baptized in the 1980s. Weird, but unbelievably cool and really talented (IMO). Plus, she bagged Salvador Dali and Andy Warhol. I've got to hand it to her.

http://www.audart.com/warhol/ultraviolet.htm
Old 04-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
Archaea

Linear algebra?

Is that the vector stuff such as every vector has a basis, a matrix is invertible IFF its determinant is nonzero, a matrix is invertible IFF the linear map represented by the matrix is isomorhpic?

That stuff? That was 24 years ago. Yikes.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Linear algebra?

Is that the vector stuff such as every vector has a basis, a matrix is invertible IFF its determinant is nonzero, a matrix is invertible IFF the linear map represented by the matrix is isomorhpic?

That stuff? That was 24 years ago. Yikes.
Yup - that's the stuff. It's got a language all its own. I once took a linear algebra final and couldn't even understand what the question was asking - let alone attempt to answer it correctly. The first question said something like this:

"Take the orthogonal projection of a 6-space vector and write a transformation to a 3-space vector. Is the transformation idempotent? Calculate the eigenvalues of the orthogonal subspace U and describe the corresponding eigenspace"

My brain nearly exploded just reading it. I thought to myself: "screw it - I don't want to be a graphics programmer after all". I got up, handed in an empty test to the testing center, and took an F in course.

I suppose it would have helped if I had gone to class more than twice a semester. Linear algebra was the only subject where I've couldn't completely fake and B.S. my way to at least a "C" grade without ever attending class.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:33 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Yup - that's the stuff. It's got a language all its own. I once took a linear algebra final and couldn't even understand what the question was asking - let alone attempt to answer it correctly. The first question said something like this:

"Take the orthogonal projection of a 6-space vector and write a transformation to a 3-space vector. Is the transformation idempotent? Calculate the eigenvalues of the orthogonal subspace U and describe the corresponding eigenspace"

My brain nearly exploded just reading it. I thought to myself: "screw it - I don't want to be a graphics programmer after all". I got up, handed in an empty test to the testing center, and took an F in course.

I suppose it would have helped if I had gone to class more than twice a semester. Linear algebra was the only subject where I've couldn't completely fake and B.S. my way to at least a "C" grade without ever attending class.
I did the same with differential equations attended once and did none too well my freshman year. Coming back after the mish, I had some makeup work to do.