cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Republicans are idiots

Here is to Huckabee taking the nomination.

The chickens have came back to roost.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Correction - Republicans in Iowa are idiots.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 AM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

I would love nothing more than for Huckabee to win the nomination. Serves Republicans right. They have been dancing with the devil for quite a while now.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:30 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I would love nothing more than for Huckabee to win the nomination. Serves Republicans right. They have been dancing with the devil for quite a while now.
Of course you would. He's really the only Repub that the Dems can beat in a national election.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:36 AM   #5
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Of course you would. He's really the only Repub that the Dems can beat in a national election.
I think you misread the national climate. Take a look at Iowa, I think there is an important message being sent there. Over double the number of participants in the Democratic caucus v. the Republican caucus in a state that historically is quite Republican. The national mood is moving strongly in the direction of the Democrats. I don't see a single Republican candidate who can sway that mood, though McCain would have the best chance. Sadly for Republicans, he won't be the nominee.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:38 AM   #6
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Surely you realize that yours is a minority view. After 8 years of Bush, Most are predicting that the Dems win easily.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:41 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think you misread the national climate. Take a look at Iowa, I think there is an important message being sent there. Over double the number of participants in the Democratic caucus v. the Republican caucus in a state that historically is quite Republican. The national mood is moving strongly in the direction of the Democrats. I don't see a single Republican candidate who can sway that mood, though McCain would have the best chance. Sadly for Republicans, he won't be the nominee.
I think you're spot on with this. Unless something catastrophic* happens, a Democrat will win in 2008. Dems are destroying the GOP in voter registration and fundraising. They're also getting cash from traditional Republican sources, namely Wall Street.

*A terrorist attack, overwhelming success in Iraq, a major Dem scandal involving the nominee, etc.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I think you're spot on with this. Unless something catastrophic* happens, a Democrat will win in 2008. Dems are destroying the GOP in voter registration and fundraising. They're also getting cash from traditional Republican sources, namely Wall Street.

*A terrorist attack, overwhelming success in Iraq, a major Dem scandal involving the nominee, etc.
You are right to list the provisos. There are national security events that could dramatically effect the election still. But as things stand now, Republicans could be in for a disastrous political year.

People forget that the Democrats took control of the Senate when the odds against doing so were overwhelming. Most of the Senate seats up for election in 2006 were Democratic seats. The Democrats not only retained their seats, they then took almost every Republican seat that was up for election. In 2008, most of the seats up for election in the Senate are Republican seats. The Democrats stand a solid chance of gaining many more seats in both the House and Senate, and winning the presidency handily. This could be the presidential election that breaks the mold from the previous two elections of being a nailbiter. Iowa itself could be up for the Democrats taking in November.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 AM   #9
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You are right to list the provisos. There are national security events that could dramatically effect the election still. But as things stand now, Republicans could be in for a disastrous political year.

People forget that the Democrats took control of the Senate when the odds against doing so were overwhelming. Most of the Senate seats up for election in 2006 were Democratic seats. The Democrats not only retained their seats, they then took almost every Republican seat that was up for election. In 2008, most of the seats up for election in the Senate are Republican seats. The Democrats stand a solid chance of gaining many more seats in both the House and Senate, and winning the presidency handily. This could be the presidential election that breaks the mold from the previous two elections of being a nailbiter. Iowa itself could be up for the Democrats taking in November.
I agree, and frankly it's a bit scary. I really hope Clinton doesn't get in under those circumstances, as I'd prefer if she had some opposition. I'd be interested to see what Obama or Edwards would get done with a dem majority in both houses though.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:01 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you all have jumped the gun.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote