cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Baptists/Evangelicals?
Yes 9 50.00%
No 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2007, 03:16 AM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Do you like Baptists / Evangelicals?

I'm more interested in this question than the Mormon one.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:33 AM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I'm more interested in this question than the Mormon one.
How can you really say you don't like a group of people?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:34 AM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I need an "It depends" option.

My SiL is very likable now that she has tuned down the confrontation. Aaron has been hard to like in the past but may be on the road to more likability should we see more actual engagement and less dropping of out-of-context quotes from church leaders.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:43 AM   #4
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
How can you really say you don't like a group of people?
I can't really, but I did it anyway. BarbaraGordon is technically a baptist, and she's not bad. If you lived in Oklahoma for a few years, you'd understand. Maybe it's just 10% of them that drive me batty, but it's enough. The only books about Mormons in the bookstores out here are anti-Mormon books. I only like anti-Mormon books that are objective.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 08-25-2007 at 03:47 AM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived in the South too long as a known Mormon to provide a positive response to this question.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I better--I'm surrounded by them!
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I think they can be annoying in groups, but are generally fine individually (Kind of like BYU fans? ). Especially if they don't know you are LDS.

I live in the South, and have no problems.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Barbara Gordon and if more were like her, this group would be fine, but generally I find them more to be like Aaron, who are a detestable, despicable bunch of human beings.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

When I think of Southern Baptist/Evangelist what comes to mind is institutionalized efforts to require teaching of creationism in our children's science books and classes; establishment of that "creation museum" in Kentucky that uses scientific jargon to try to demonstrate the earth is 6,000 years old, Noah's ark literally happened, etc.; efforts to recast creationism in the veneer of intelligent design, again aping science but hating it and assiduously trying to undermine it; their promoting what would be the only Constitutional amendment that restricts individual liberties rather than restricting states' efforts to abridge them; the rebel flag still waving above South Carolina's state house;the Southern Baptist church's racist origins (about which it appears unapologetic), as a schism from the northern Baptist denomination that was dedicated to abolition; inciting and financing extremist elements in Israel opposed to relinquishing the occupied territories; impoverishment of our national/political discourse in promoting an intrusive social agenda. I could go on.

To the extent anyone favors or promotes these predominant aspects of Southern Baptist/Evangelical culture I don't like them in the sense that I would probably not have much reason to interact socially with them and I would find them intensely annoying if I did.

The Southern Baptist/Evanelical movement itself is much about dislike, even hate, as its obsession with propagating anti-Mormon propaganda demonstrates.

But I'm sure there are millions of people affiliated with Southern Baptist/Evangelical meeting houses who don't subscribe to the foregoing and are wonderful, interesting people. I have met a few of them.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
When I think of Southern Baptist/Evangelist what comes to mind is institutionalized efforts to require teaching of creationism in our children's science books and classes; establishment of that "creation museum" in Kentucky that uses scientific jargon to try to demonstrate the earth is 6,000 years old, Noah's ark literally happened, etc.; efforts to recast creationism in the veneer of intelligent design, again aping science but hating it and assiduously trying to undermine it; their promoting what would be the only Constitutional amendment that restricts individual liberties rather than restricting states' efforts to abridge them; the rebel flag still waving above South Carolina's state house;the Southern Baptist church's racist origins (about which it appears unapologetic), as a schism from the northern Baptist denomination that was dedicated to abolition; inciting and financing extremist elements in Israel opposed to relinquishing the occupied territories; impoverishment of our national/political discourse in promoting an intrusive social agenda. I could go on.

To the extent anyone favors or promotes these predominant aspects of Southern Baptist/Evangelical culture I don't like them in the sense that I would probably not have much reason to interact socially with them and I would find them intensely annoying if I did.

The Southern Baptist/Evanelical movement itself is much about dislike, even hate, as its obsession with propagating anti-Mormon propaganda demonstrates.

But I'm sure there are millions of people affiliated with Southern Baptist/Evangelical meeting houses who don't subscribe to the foregoing and are wonderful, interesting people. I have met a few of them.
I endorse this post, but other than Babs, I have not met a single, even handed Evangelical Christian. She is the first I've ever met, as most are those annoying, hateful kind, that remind me of fundamentalist Muslims.