cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road
Default Dumb childhood Injuries

The thread on dumb no-brainers got me thinking about the stupid things I did when I was younger. The instances where I did something rather stupid leading to injury FAR outnumber the times I caused trouble.

In fact, I had a tendency to injure myself on the first day of extended camp-outs:

#1. Had a 'High Adventure' at some lakes in Montana. It was a tremendously long, nasty hike to the campsite, involving lakes so mosquito-infested that you could see black swarms moving around from miles away.

FINALLY, we arrived. I dumped my pack & trucked around the lake with my fishing pole, where I started fishing. Within ten minutes, I had snagged my brand-new lure on a rock (I chose to fish by some rocks, thinking some fish had made homes in the rocks). I dove into the lake to try to (unsuccessfully) unsnag. On my way back to pick up my clothes & glasses (I have horrible eyesight - wear glasses at +6 correction), I managed to slice the side of my foot open at the arch. It was a pretty good cut - opened up about 1/3" and was about 2" long. Didn't bleed that much, but was filled with crap from the lake.

I trudged back around the lake (luckily it was a pretty small one), and showed the rather gruesome-looking injury to my scoutmaster, who then proceeded to douse the injury in peroxide & trying to clean the mud & moss from the gash. They discussed taking me to the hospital, but I managed to convince them to just put a butterfly bandage on it & leave it alone. They banned me from leaving the campsite for the entire week (I snuck away when everyone would leave to go fishing/hiking). The scar is still quite distinct.

#2. 1st day of another 'high adventure', we went up to this zip-line in some woods, and enjoyed ourselves. It was a biking-adventure, where we biked some 250 miles to this place, where we camped & they had these activities.

On the way back from the zip-line, I naturally started racing some friends, with rather disastrous consequences. One friend crashed into the ditch along the side of the road. He was a large kid, 6'2 280 or so, so he probably did more damage to the ditch than it did to him.

On the other hand, when my front tire hit an unusually large road-divot (of the kind created by logging trucks driving the road), my bike stopped & I didn't. I'd guesstimate I was going about 30 or so (that's just a guess, but it was pretty steep downhill and I was going as fast as I possibly could on my trusty 12-speed mountain bike).

About 12 hours later (or so), I lay on a bed at the urgent-care near our house, watching the doctor stick a q-tip about 2 inches into a hole below my left knee, while instructing a nurse to scrub the road-rash scabs off the wounds on my palms, knees, elbows, and right hip with a metal wire brush. Scars all over the place from that one.

The knee with the hole in it still hurts me if I spend too much time sitting cross-legged. It was a pain in the ass on my mission in Korea, where chairs in houses are few & far between.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was about 8 or 9, I guess, I had a sharp pencil in the pocket of my coat, and I was running around playing outside. Of course I fell, and the sharp end of the pencil went right into my waist and broke off. A few days later my Dad was finally able to get the lead of the pencil out of my body. I still have a dimple scar on my waist, right above my butt. I can post a pic if you'd like.

Another one I can remember was a time I was pretending a broom was a guitar, and I was playing it. I slammed the broom end on the ground, and a pretty good size piece of wood from the handle went right through the tip of my birdie finger. My Dad had to pull it out with some pliers, and I felt sorry for him for having to do it, because I could tell it was bothering him.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I was about 7. My bike was on the front lawn on its side. I was spinning the back tire as fast as I could, watching it go round and round.

That got boring, so I decided to spin it fast and run a stick along the spokes so I could hear the click, click, click.

After the stick, I ran a piece of paper and it made a different noise.

After the paper, I decided to run my finger along the spokes. My finger got caught and I received a huge scar on my right middle finger. Still have the scar to this day. If I ever meet some of you in person, you will definitely get to see it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I was about 7. My bike was on the front lawn on its side. I was spinning the back tire as fast as I could, watching it go round and round.

That got boring, so I decided to spin it fast and run a stick along the spokes so I could hear the click, click, click.

After the stick, I ran a piece of paper and it made a different noise.

After the paper, I decided to run my finger along the spokes. My finger got caught and I received a huge scar on my right middle finger. Still have the scar to this day. If I ever meet some of you in person, you will definitely get to see it.
Reminds me - on my mission, this old dude (in S. Korea, so you can understand how this could happen) had his bike with two stacks of newspapers tied to it. The stacks were at least 4' tall each. The guy couldn't control the bike, and it went into a ditch. My comp & I picked the bike up for him and moved it back onto the road, and I grabbed the wrong part of the tire. My hand rolled up and got pinched between the tire & the guard, which basically skinned my right hand from the first knuckle (closest to the wrist) back an inch or so.

I walked to the church, holding my arm out to my side, making a pretty distinct trail of blood. Scar's mostly faded, but I can still find it when I try.

Another time, when I was about 8, I was goofing around with some neighborhood kids (not really friends). One of them decided it would be fun to stick a large stick into the spokes of my front tire. I did a face-plant, chipping the front-right tooth.

Incidentally, last Friday, the filling/cap they put on that tooth chipped a bit. I have to head into the dentist to get it repaired, which really pisses me off.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I broke my collar bone at Primary when I was 8.

This was in the days that we had Primary on Wednesday nights. Before it started, a bunch of kids were outside playing smear the queer. One of the older kids was the queer, and a whole bunch of younger kids (my age) were hanging onto him.

I thought it would be smart to trip him. Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to get out of the way, too, and the whole pile fell on me.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I was too poor to go snowboarding or even own a snowboard, so I created a ghetto version by simply standing up on a sled. Broke my left arm.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:00 AM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

In 6th grade I snapped my left wrist doing a fade away jumper in the driveway playing hoops. Fell backwards and it broke when I planted it to break my fall.

Also in 6th grade I slid into 3rd base in a Little League game after hitting a triple and caused a slipped capital femoral epiphysis. I thought I had just pulled my groin. I continued to play the rest of the season though I had a serious limp. I was getting ready for Pop Warner football that summer and my dad would make me run a mile every day before I could eat dinner. I was right at the weight limit for my age. We went to Idaho for a vacation and while there for a few weeks my hip deteriorated to the point where all I could do is hobble to the couch upon waking up and I'd stay there all day. The day we returned to California I went to the doctor. After some x-rays I was admitted to the hospital a few hours later and spent a week with my leg in traction before having two 6" screws inserted to my hip. I spent 6 months in a wheel chair and then another 3 on crutches.

The following summer I had to have the same surgery again, on my other hip. Same recovery.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"

Last edited by Surfah; 05-10-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote